AP 544 - Q. Love

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 544 - Q. Love

Post by VicMonado »

So... Valentines day this week. Is there a couple you've ever seen in an anime that you makes you a little jelly? Makes you want what they have in their relationship? What is it between them that justifies you killing one of the two to take their place?

Happy Valentines Day
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Re: AP 544 - Q. Love

Post by Midnight Crooh »

You're asking a tough question. Actual, proper relationships are damn rare in anime. You've either got shows teasing possible relationships without ever getting there, or you've got couples of the "I am a girl with special powers, but I need a partner to fully unlock them. I have chosen you." variety.
One of the most interesting relationships in recent years for me is probably the one between Sanae and Hanabi in Scum's Wish. Not because it's perfect, but because it's not. Lesbian relationships in anime are usually given a lot of gloss and are portrayed as these pure, clean things. Which makes it quite refreshing to see one where there's a lot of very unpleasant and abusive behaviour that's explored in a very mature way. Happy valentine's day!

-Crooh

P.S I finally figured out which animal is referred to in the question you get when you try and sign up for the forum, so here I am. Who knew a dumb and fanservicey action show could be so useful.
Paltir
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Post by Paltir »

Gotta agree with Midnight here. On the whole.... Anime is trash at relationships, if they even get together at all, aside from the last episode. A breakdown would be another long post by me so I'll save it for a later date, or until I have a beer...

Relationships are messy, complicated, require work, and mostly end in a breakup. Especially early ones. Which is why I roll my eyes at the mock happy ever after bullshit they always play with high school types.

To get back on track, what relationship would I be jealous of? Clearly just about any "harem" type. I mean that's the point isn't it? You have a girl of any type at your disposal? Love Hina is basically the archetype here. Though. In reality I know that you could never have a relationship that would function like that outside a cult.

I guess I'll go with Renton and Eureka from Eureka 7. They like each other, they have honest to God communication issues, but they seem to make a good pair.

Yeah.
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

My brain dictates that I must post the first couple that came to my brain.

Futaba and Hikari are a couple(?) from Amanchu! AKA the scubadiving anime which is, I don't know, about a gay couple- or totally not. ANYHOO, I love these two, because Futaba is the straight-laced, scared to try anything type, and Hikari is the wild girl, who is basically a force of nature. I love a couple who bring out the best in each other, and I hope these two- for real- get together.

Plus, I'm jealous of all the weird faces these two make!
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

Even though they are not really a couple I always liked the relationship between Watunuki kimihiro and Yuko Ichihara from xxxHolic. While she'll play jokes or mess around with him she does it out of playfulness due to his serious demeanor or need to relax, he really does come in time to admire her. That or the fact that I am in to older women who tease might play a role in my pick. LOL
Last edited by Blackmagic4444 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Thirding Midnight's view. A lot of relationships in Fiction, anime, video games or otherwise, rarely are depicted well or realistically, often due to plot reasons. I am probably also biased in that I have taken the view that I generally prefer to continue flying solo for the foreseeable future.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha