AP 546 - Q. Tear Jerkers

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 546 - Q. Tear Jerkers

Post by VicMonado »

Anime or any art form really can at times, have the power to draw strong emotions. So this week I'm wanting you to share any anime(s) that made you cry or misty-eyed at the very least. Also some context as to why it was so effective would be appreciated.

This topic was suggested by Joseph Martin, so thanks for the input.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 546 - Q. Tear Jerkers

Post by xahldera »

Ooooohhh...now this is a difficult question to answer. There are a few sad examples in other media I've consumed over the years, but Anime I've specifically tried to avoid those because I'm rather weak emotionally and find myself too easily saddened by such stories. That or they were so overwrought with melodrama that it crosses from sorrow into the uncanny valley of unintentionally funny.

Minor Spoiler Warning Ahead!
Having said that, I think that despite the "narmy" (the aforementioned unintentionally amusing) moments in it, the Third Rebuild of Evangelion movie, "Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo", was particularly saddening in places. Aside from Shinji being treated like dirt more than usual (Har har), the implication that this was not just a standard reboot, but a straight up continuation from the TV series and "End of Evangelion" movie make it particularly tragic, especially when Shinji is forced to witness the death of someone who becomes a close friend to him. Important when all the other people Shinji encounters thus far seem to hold him entirely to blame (Perhaps not unjustifiably) for causing the end of the world. And to repeat that theme of repetition, the implication that he may have caused or witnessed this death in some sort of sick "Groundhog Day" style time loop and that he can't remember it, seems to make it more tragic IMHO.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Hmm, the last two anime that I can remember making me cry would be My Hero Academia and Hanasaku Iroha, both for very different reasons.

Spoilers below

Macademia does it by showing really likeable characters going beyond their limits to achieve their goals, and it does it in such a great way that it makes you cry from sheer hype. Of particular note is the scene in season 1 where All Might shows up to save the class and fights the nomu. If there is a top 10 most hype moments in anime then that scene deserves to be on it.

Hanasaku Iroha on the other hand made me cry towards the end because of the very sentimental, bittersweet way in which it wraps up. As someone who's already way too prone to get sentimental and who could sympathize a lot with some of the characters in the show it really got to me.

-Crooh
QueenInoue
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by QueenInoue »

For me The end of Sword Art Online season 2 made me cry. a lot.
Queen Inoue Shiromaka

rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

If it has a good story, great characters and well directed, yeah, I can get teary eyed.
I can't think of one recently in particular, but one that I will long remember is the scene in FMA:Brotherhood where Winry learns that the man who had killed her parents is Scar and she has to be talked down by Ed from a stray pistol she picked up during a battle scene and using it against him. It's a very emotional scene that's been slowly built up as a B plot/backstory over the series, and this all gets suddenly thrust into the foreground. At the same time the soundtrack plays that episode's outro, Miho Fukuhara's "Let It Out", in a dramatic crescendo, and... hoo, boy... yeah, tears a'falling. And I am like: "WTF? I am crying here."
Wherever you go... there you are.