AP 547 - Q. Droppings

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 547 - Q. Droppings

Post by VicMonado »

Hey hey!

Well it's that time again. In the past I've learned a bit about the shows you've watched but this week I'd like to address the times when you jumped ship and left. So are there any shows you have dropped without finishing, or dropped between seasons. I'm most interested in the 'why', what was the moment, the revelation even.... that convinced you to cut ties?

This question was inspired by a message sent to me by user QueenInoue, cheers!
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Re: AP 547 - Q. Droppings

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Looking over my "dropped" section on my animelist I can say that most of my dropped shows aren't exactly godawful terrible, they just went for several episodes without really hooking me in any way. Nothing kept me excited, nothing kept my attention and nothing even hinted at more excitement coming further down the line. As someone who's willing to enjoy the good parts of otherwise meh shows (with some exceptions) it isn't the prescense of too much bad that makes me drop stuff, but the almost complete absence of anything good. Boredom is the showkiller for me.

-Crooh
VicMonado
Site Admin

Post by VicMonado »

Cool, any examples of particularly 'boring' anime?
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Beatless and Clockwork Planet were both insufferably cliché and heartless. If it doesn't feel like the team cares a wit about their own show then how am I supposed to? Then you've got things like Dies Irae and Jikan no Shihasha that at least feel like they've got a modicum of passion put into them, but still end up doing nothing that really hooks you. Aside from thos there are a few shows that just didn't do it for me, even though I can't say they're objectively bad shows, like Shoukoku no Altair and Just Because.

-Crooh
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Ooh...I am sure I answered a similar question to this before...

I tend not to drop shows. I either suffer through to the bitter end or don't watch them in the first place if they don't seem interesting to me.

Having said that, two shows I did drop are "Kampfer" and "K-On!" season 2. Kampfer I dropped because the main protagonist was showing such obnoxious ignorance and stupidity to the situation around themselves that eventually I could not take anymore and stopped watching it after 2 and a half episodes. I'm sure an abridged parody of it was made and was far more interesting than the actual show. :P

K-On season 2 was a far personally more tragic affair for me. I watched and loved the first season, but the second one just failed to hold my interest, with what felt like a repetition of the same tropes and situations from the first season and not in an interesting way. I ended up drifting away from it after 4 episodes with the intention of returning to it, but years later, still haven't done so.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

QueenInoue
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by QueenInoue »

My first ever anime drop was Peach Girl... every episode i was sitting there like....."seriously" and got to the point where i felt like i hated it. Dropped. i dropped Mirai Nikki (future diary i believe) because i didn't realize going into it that it was Horror. The other ones are ones i never actually watched but looking at them decided i didn't really want to watch them. So thats my anime drops. Again, it does take a bit for me to drop something. Peach Girl i believe i was like 9 eps in when i dropped it. Mirai Nikki at 4 eps in. the others i didn't even watch....
Queen Inoue Shiromaka

YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

("Droppings" I see what you did there)

I have been really slow about dropping shows this season, but I hit the eject button on The Ryou's Work is Never Done. This is not for me for so many reasons. First off, I felt like it was an insult to March Comes in Like a Lion to have this other show about shogi come creeping in. It is about shogi, and they don't use shogi as just window dressing. Unlike the more dramatic and serious Lion, they play shogi in a shounen battle tournament style, with all their fucking colorful character archetypes.

THEN. COMES. IMOUTO.

There is a loli who is the focus of this show, for some reason. If one little girl wasn't enough for you, then all of her classmates join the cast. Yep, this is kind of a loli harem! Don't worry fans, because we all know that the WAY older main character only has eyes for only one little girl he shouldn't be hanging out with.

Even though the first season is at a merciful 12 episodes, I have given up after 2. It has a score of 6.97 on MAL, which means that there's a tiny hope for anime fandom; I expected it to have a 7.5 or an 8. If you want your naked lolis, don't let my utter disdain stop you.

A classic drop for me was Amnesia. Oh dear baby Jesus, Amnesia. I don't like otome harems, but I give everything a shot. This was so badly written that I wanted to devour my own eyes after a couple episodes. I dropped this like the steamy turd it is. It is rated only slightly lower on MAL than Ryou, and that's probably because of the bishis.

So there you have it, trash for boys and trash for girls! ENJOY.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

I usually give a show a couple of tries. If I make it past three or four episodes, I usually make it through the season. There are a few times, however, I get hooked on a show, but something happens which forces me to decide to stop watching. I can't think of many, but I can guarantee if the writer or creators for the show bolix up a character or make an unreasonable plot twist, it can ruin the show for me — suspension of disbelief has been shattered, and the trust we've built in their story becomes broken irreparably.
If I had to name one show in particular where I made a firm decision to drop, I guess I would have to say "Another". I was giving it a good try, but then a certain scene happens — I think everyone who has seen it can relate — [spoiler] involves a stairwell and an umbrella [/spoiler] — I watched that and went, "Nope. I'm done. I think I'll find something else to watch."
Wherever you go... there you are.