AP 553 - Q. Anger

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 553 - Q. Anger

Post by VicMonado »

So one of the great things about art is that it's able to draw a varied amount of reactions from different audiences. Today let's focus on angered. Has there ever been an anime that has made you feel particularly angry for whatever reason and why? It could be a particular scene, a character, some problem with the production, anything really.

A good day to you all.

Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Re: AP 553 - Q. Anger

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Oh boy. Suzaku from Code Geass is the first thing that comes to mind. He made me angry from the get-go and I remained angry with him for the rest of the entire series. And I'm not the only one. I know he's almost universally hated by those who've watched this series. Though it's quite easy to hate a hypocritical, lying douchebag who'll let his allies commit atrocity after atrocity while he remains convinced he's doing the right thing.

Another series that was full of rage moments for me was Cross Ange, though thankfully that show had all the people responsible for said rage get their comeuppance. Most of the people in that show can be classified as either hateful bigots or manipulative arsheoles who'll try and use the main character for their own goals. As you can imagine this lead to plenty of moments where I just wanted someone to beat some sense into all of these bastards that the show keeps throwing out. This coming from a pacifist, ironically.

Honourable mention goes to a scene in Guily Crown where two of the main female leads are ambushed and lead onto a stage in restraints in the middle of a student gathering, an event that quickly spirals into an almost-lynching of these two now-helpless characters. This by the students who we are supposed to think are on the same side as the main character.

I guess I've got a sore spot for people who either commit unreasonably hateful actions or allow them to be commited even though they could stop them. The latter is probably worse for me. Find a show with that stuff and I can assure you that my gaskets will be soundly blown.

-Crooh
Last edited by Midnight Crooh on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
QueenInoue
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by QueenInoue »

Midnight Crooh wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm I guess I've got a sore spot for people who either commit unreasonably hateful actions or allow them to be commited even though they could stop them. the latter is probably worse for me. Find a show with that stuff and I can assure you that my gaskets will be soundly blown.

-Crooh
I agree on that one. Most of the time i don't get very angry with anime but hateful actions as mentioned by Midnight Crooh are sure to at least irritate me. I did get angry at the ending of Shuffle. The situation between MC and Kaede where she was trying everything to get him to be hers hit home with me at that time because i was going through a break up and stuff but that was many many years ago. Beyond that i don't have any other specific examples of angry moments from anime.
Queen Inoue Shiromaka

xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

An anime that made me angry? Hmm...

I'm at a loss for this one. I'm sure there is an anime that really enraged me but one isn't coming to mind at the moment.
So I will just resubmit an anime that didn't so much anger me but disappointed me greatly and that is "Kampfer". I've mentioned this before in the topic of dropped anime, but basically Kampfer disappointed me to the point close to anger because a typical episode followed this pattern.
  • Main protag has something happen to him that is incredulous.
  • Other characters attempt to use lots of exposition to explain incredulous situation.
  • Main protag still doesn't get what is going on, to the point of wilful ignorance.
  • Other characters try to convince the protag again of how to avoid dying or getting into a worse situation.
  • Main protag still ignores advice, somehow stumbles through situation through dumb luck or fails to do so.
  • Repeat until end of episode and then the cycle begins anew in the next episode.
It was this cycle that lead me to drop the series with extreme prejudice. Not angry, but very disappointed and that is as close to angry as I can get.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha