AP 587 - Crowdfunding

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 587 - Crowdfunding

Post by VicMonado »

In light of Studio Trigger, the animation studio behind Darling in the FRANXX and Kill la Kill, starting a Patreon crowdfunding campaign, do you think this is a good or bad thing? Is this a sign of an industry in serious trouble, unable to secure investment from traditional sources or is it merely a prudent branching out that will allow otaku to see more of what they would like rather than what they don't?

Topic suggested (pretty much word for word) by Xahldera...
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Re: AP 587 - Crowdfunding

Post by YotaruVegeta »

It seems like people have a lot of issues with this. First off, they think a company shouldn't be "begging" for money on a site like Patreon. People feel like this site is meant for the little folk, those who don't have the power to get proper financual backing. Second, people feel like they will get cut off, because the Patreon members will have the exclusive content, and everyone else has slim to no chance to see it.

I think I dislike using anime for Patreon because of the second point. I have FOMO like a mutha, so I want access to as much anime as I can stand. With all the anime I have yet to finish, I'm, realistically, not going to be vocal about anime companies taking their content to crowdfunding platforms.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

I think generally crowdfunding is a good thing in this area. It does allow creators some freedom to move away from products and franchises that have to be seen to be ultra successful cash cows to be given the green light to be created. As we have seen in the video games industry, this attitude where only guaranteed money makers are allowed to be the light of day has resulted in the games industry going in a particularly problematic direction where Games Publishers have to maintain unsustainable levels of profits.

On the other hand, there is the risk that if a studio is too reliant on crowd funding and they cannot raise said funds, it could result in promising projects not seeing the light of day. Especially if it isn't necessarily one that appeals to even niche tastes. Ultimately crowdfunding is a generally positive thing that would help with providing an alternative avenue for funding.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

I don’t have a problem with the idea of crowd-funding, not any more than any other modern internet-enable facility. My wariness is with the current implementations, particularly when they are concentrate through certain Big Tech monopolies that are now exerting their socio-political views upon their clientele. One in particular, whom I need not name, has claimed to be the financier for “free speech” but has lately been shutting down or cutting off their “patrons” for spurious politically-motivated excuses.

Speech needs to be free, for every citizen, even when / especially when we may not agree with it.
Wherever you go... there you are.