AP 590 - West to East

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 590 - West to East

Post by VicMonado »

So we've talked about Western adaptations of Japanese properties in the past but in light of me covering Batflack Ninja let's talk the opposite. Do you like any anime adaptations of Western IP's? What do you think of them in general and are there any properties you'd like to see in anime form?

As always, your responses are very much appreciated.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 590 - West to East

Post by rampant_a_i »

There was an anime movie adaption of Batflack that was done in the same vein as the Animatrix film: a montage/anthology of Batflack stories told by different directors and studios. It had mixed results, and I recall it being “meh”.

Normally I’d be all over anything that combines Batflack/The Dark Knight and Anime, but this one was a bit of a disappointment.

There was also that adaption by Rankin-Bass of The Hobbit and part of the LOTR. It was definite Japanese animation.

As for what I would LIKE to see?
How about an anime reboot of Indiana Jones?
Or maybe Solomon Kane or some other R.E. Howard work?

{and to the forum admins: Really? Bat-flack!!!????}
Last edited by rampant_a_i on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wherever you go... there you are.
vailreth
Fan
Fan

Post by vailreth »

i think Japan has a better history of "getting" and having " orginal" interpretations of Western Properties. i have Yet to see Battle Angel Alita made over here. but in general holywood dosent put in the effort to understand Eastern properties. as for what property or maybe properties id like to see Animefied in the East.... well here we go:
Spawn
Nightmare on Elmstreet
Doctor Who
StarCraft franchise
Star Trek and others i cant think about it.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Got to admit I haven't watched any significant Anime Adaptations of Western IP's, so I can't really comment on them. However I would like to see an adaptation of the BBC version of Sherlock, the TV series about a modernised Sherlock Holmes. It kind of already exists as a Manga serialisation in Kadokawa's "Young Ace". Other series I'm interested in seeing an Anime adaptation of Star Trek and Doctor Who.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

MXKx20
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Post by MXKx20 »

Ed, Edd, & Eddy :lol:
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

This is a tough tough question. Someone, somewhere, has a webpage listing all of them, but I can't find that magical page.

So I'm going to go with- EDIT!

I've found that magical list of Anime co-productions, so I'm going with The Animatrix. I loved the hell out of The Matrix back in the day (yes, even parts of the sequels) and it was great to get an expansion of the world, and have some great Japanese artists work on it.

I still own the DVD...somewhere. Don't have a player to watch it.
Tywil20
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Tywil20 »

Let see,hmm. Captain planet,captain America. Oh i know sense it's a big game release kingdom hearts.and thank you andrew for getting my name right,i think it took ichigo,tc,and red about 5 or 6 episodes to get right.
Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

I have seen quite a few western properties adapted for the Japanese audience. But I am not gonna name all the ones that I've seen. What I will do is name the ones that I really liked and that are worth watching. Most western to Japanese adaption are god awful. Here are my recommendations:

The Animatrix - This is by far the best and it is really good especially if you are a Matrix fan like me.
Interstellar 5555 - This may not count because I believe its a collaboration with Daft Punk & Matsumoto but everyone should watch it.
Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker - Its cheesy but I liked it. I am Dragon Age fan so I might be slightly biased.
X-men & Wolverine animated series - Madhouse released some Marvel anime series about 10 years ago that ran on G4 TV. These were the only good ones.
Highlander: The search for vengeance - If you are a fan of Highlander and a fan of Yoshiaki Kawajiri anime you will like this.

What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
InnocuousBlonde
Fan
Fan

Post by InnocuousBlonde »

Man, I dug the Animatrix back in the day. I mean, it melded anime with my favorite themes from the Matrix, AND it was in anthology form, which I really enjoy in films.

As for Western properties I'd like to see animated - boy I wish I watched more things. I'm literally looking at my DVD shelves (which are admittedly mostly filled with anime) and the only things that spring out that could be a neat adaptation or continuation are Firefly and The Neverending Story. Although Scott Pilgrim might make a cool anime as well - it already borrows heavily from anime aesthetics - especially if turned into a series rather than a feature film.