Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gears of War

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykalwane

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Gears of War Reply with quote

Now this game is brought to you literally by Anime Pulse. This review couldn't of been done without Anime Pulse.

Video game:Gears of War
Genre:Shooter

System: Xbox 360

Rating:M

Date Release: 11/12/2006
Date Review: 5/28/2008

Manufacturer: Epic Games
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Rating Overall: 4/5
for fans of the shooting genre:5/5

Main Story:
Gears of War is a game for the let's go kill cats kind of game. It's heavy on the gore and less on the gameplay. Now this isn't saying that the gameplay isn't good, it just isn't the main focus of the game. The game is more for killing stuff, and finding new ways to do it. A game tailor made for the general Xbox fan boys since they enjoy killing stuff. Now this comes from Epic using the Unreal engine they are known for to power this game. This means the player is going to have a bad watch your mouth time. This can be told from the single fact that it's main selling point is a modern age bayonet with a chainsaw to slice and dice people.

This is something that appears like everything with massive amounts of blood and gore. To the amount it will make many wonder how it didn't get slap with an AO rating as you play as Marcus Fenix, a former prisoner and war-hardened soldier. Anyone who plays this can tell from the fact that the game starts out with you getting release from solitary confinement to this third person game. Making you the bad ass character that must take on insurmountable odds, which for added bonus is the same voice as Bender. You can either jump into the fight or learn how to do things which is an added bonus since this allows people who are replying the game to skip the training they already know.

The gameplay you learn from either training or getting into the fight is mostly duck and cover gameplay that seems to be the new "thing" in games for added difficulty. It allows the choice wither to go for a quick kill that saves ammo that risks death or fire from a covered position with bad accuriticy. Which adds difficulty in situation to the point it's like adding sprinkles on ice cream. The game gets tougher and tougher, but so much more enjoyable because of that. Simply because you are put in situations such as going against a turret gun where popping up to get a shot off will kill you. Now you may think I'll just pop up every so often but be aware of health in a situation like this. The game takes an interesting take on health by only showing what health you have when you get shot. So only when you get hurt do you know that, and it doesn't go the traditional route of telling you how much health you have left, but tells you how hurt your character is. So when it is fully hurt your character is dead.

Now one might think with great gameplay would have a great story. Sadly along with appealing to the "let's kill something" audience that will buy this has little dept. The story is interesting since it really brings you into the action, but the story is like most action flicks. You're hear to kick ass and take names as you go from point a to point b to do something while killing stuff. In that respect it is a lot of fun, but it being a game that has a goal of being a tough game so that when you beat the game you feel like you have accomplished something. This is something that will make people hate this game, so if you looking for a deep storyline while going around killing stuff this isn't your game. The game as a whole does the same thing that a summer blockbuster does, it entertains while drawing you in. Now it does have some great bits, that make it a great shooter. Hell it pushes the genre of shooters ahead. Maybe not a full new direction, but it works on the same formula that Halo did. It brings new life into the genre by doing something different with the same old formula of killing stuff.

Conclusion:

Now for those of you think oh crap that means I just shoot and kill with no thought since it is only trying to entertain me, you're going to be disappointed. Most enemies think a bit, maybe not a lot at times you're trying to outwit them in a game of chess. It has added difficulty with some puzzles in how the hell am I going to survive this kinds of deal. The usual dark environment of horror that you get with the music that Kevin Kevin Riepl does a good job on. I personally don't think it is his best work since the guy likes to use horns a lot. They mix very well with the sound effects and everything, but the horns stood out more then blended. Still when you are working for having music mix well with bullets leaping from barrel to ground and all that the action going on. It does more to stand out then draw you into the action most of the time.

That is just one of the minor faults the game has. The game overall is rather good and will test you as a gamer. The main thing is if you like killing stuff and a lot of blood you will love this game for them this game is a five chainsaws to the head with bloody action on single, co-op, or multiplayer. Now if you are not a fan of games that are for more blood then dept to a character this game is a 4. Not a must buy game for you, but a good rent that is rather enjoyable that you should cheek out. This is a game I suggest that you rent first. Not only because this is a game that isn't a must buy for everyone, but because the game's difficulty is a love or hate ordeal. This may make you scream and cuss till you are put away in an insane asylum, or be a game you love like sex or life. I personally love the fact the game is constantly challenging me as I play, but this is something you may not like. As a game in the shooting genre this game isn't my favorite, but it is a bloody good time that will make you wish you could chainsaw your best friend in the face. It is that much fun to chainsaw someone, and the game is that. A fun time, which some can get the same enjoyment out of renting the game for a week as someone else playing it for a lifetime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<blarg> "anime is like sex. it's intended to achieve something, but you just do it to enjoy it anyway"
Reach out and support the boobies

Last edited by Mykalwane on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendly bump

nice writing... long read.. but damn nice writing. are you writing for a company now or something?

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but thank you Nova. I just review what I have played, and learning as I go along. If I could get a job doing it I be more then willing, I be willing to play the crappy licensed games if I could. Though I do have a request since Brutal Legends is the only game I am going to be able to buy when it comes out do you mind waiting till I write a review on the forum before you review it for your podcast?

To justify my post of an reply here is what I got to say about the new special edition deal for GOW.

This is a game a friend here on anime pulse sent to me just because I said that I was saving up for it so that I could have the game when a friend comes over. It is the special edition that my fairy godmother of the forum gave me. Now the special edition version contained a travel size metal case with a DVD of extra material. No extra levels or anything, just a case and videos are the only thing extra here. The metal allow it to be carried around easily without worry, for travel is the only reason you should buy the special edition that is out or the NEW version that just has that and the multiplayer levels you can get for free, just that you wouldn't have to download them.

Which looking at that if you travel around with your 360 from friends house this is justifiable buy. For a test I took the case with me dropped it about 5 times from different heights and while riding. The case its self is a bit of metal not enough to protect it from getting run over by a car or something that weights enough to bend metal. Though if you in the deal where you carry the case around and just drop it, or accidentally lay your head on the game. The game its self will be playable without any worries.

The purpose of this sounds very reasonable for 10 bucks more, since you got added protection. The problem ideally is that you are not going to be lugging the game every for most people. The chances of you going over to your friend's house and playing are very slim with those that can afford it can afford Xbox Live. From the eye of purpose sounds reasonable, but the problem is in rational. It would make more sense to save the ten bucks to pay for a 10 dollar hooker or a gallon of gas then pay for the special edition then have the shiny beauty of the special edition Gears of War.

<blarg> "anime is like sex. it's intended to achieve something, but you just do it to enjoy it anyway"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I don't think we had that version here in EU.

As one reviewer to another, what are your prospects of Gears 2?

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova odds are you might be since Gamestop had announce they are selling a new special edition of the game the price of the original game goes down ten bucks and you get exactly what the current special edition is just with the downloaded mutliplayer maps added.

You're going to be getting the same deal of gore and pain just at a grander scale. All know that it will get a better visual and psychics engine because of the Epic engine, and you got bits of improvements on all. From things simple about the fact when your on your last legs waiting for someone to save you, you can move around while shooting, or better yet blow yourself up taking the other guy with you. (source Electric Gaming Monthly) Now the multiplayer experience will be worth buying the game if you have Xbox Live premium account. From the video Epic has already shown you'll be fighting what looks like armies instead of groups for how much grander it will be. I don't think I'll be playing the game till I beat Gears of War on casual(stuck on the 3rd or 4th act), since it is expected to make the hardcore difficulty look like casual. Now Gears of War is a game I enjoyed even though I suck at the game so I am betting the next one will fit the same fill. You'll enjoy dieing as much as killing stuff.

deadplayer

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, i love the game though i had to quit.
soviergn

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i completely agree with you, but you gotta give credit to the fact that running down a train aile at a person and hoping that you started your chainsaw first is just awesome fun. especially when you win.
megasan

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah gears. good times. good times.
especially killing raam. jeez wasted so much time doing that.
sniper+shotie=WIN
UT
Mykalwane

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamedepository.com/gamereview.php?game_id=28 for review of Gears of War 2. This one was edited by a friend who is an author in UK.

Tobi-dono

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like this game SO much more if it were first person, Its ok as a 3rd person, but I would be so much better at it if it were 1st.
Mykalwane

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was in first person you get the same lack luster experience you are getting in third person. The game is fun at times but overall is very limiting. It has very small bits that it does well at. Being in first or third person matters not when you get the same experience. Saying a game sucks because it is in either perception or isn't as good because of that is a pure bulls**t lie to give reason to hate. For a shooter there hasn't been a game that has beaten Perfect Dark for the N64 when it comes to style, or substance. Gears of War added one new thing the genera of Shooters, cover. It added one thing that wasn't there before and gave blood, gore, and butchering all that the crowd like. When you have shooters that are side shooters you get a lot of fun, same from first person shooter like Serious Sam when both work on the same idea the difference being perception. So don't spout off your hate speech about perception. Perception is define by what it sees, not what it does not see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: