Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Unknown internet error. Could be a worm.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Unknown internet error. Could be a worm. Reply with quote

OK, I have a major problem, and I need some help/advice.

I recently had to go through a PC Recovery process because after downloading some updates, my computer got stuck in an endless restart loop. After I got it fixed, I had to go an re-download/install certain programs.

My current issue is that I cannot install Windows Live Messenger, or Windows Installer, or anything related to these. When I try, I either get Connection Interrupted, or I get rerouted to other websites that have nothing to do with what I'm after. Even when I managed to download the programs I need off another computer and transferred them on here, they won't work. Windows Live Messenger will not install, saying it cannot connect and to check my internet connection (which is otherwise working correctly).

I've tried to use anti-virus/spyware programs to find out what's going on, and though they remove problems, the situation persists. I don't know if it's a bug rooted deep in my system, or something else.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Red_Alchemist

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 726

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get Windows Installer to work?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cooro_the_chibi_crow17

Evangelion is cool



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: Same place I was when you left me. Right here >.>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are more than likely missing valuable Codecs for your system. Is it Vista, XP, 1998... if it 's one of these I can help
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Alchemist wrote:
You can't get Windows Installer to work?


I ran Installer after I downloaded the .exe from another computer, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.


Cooro_the_chibi_crow17 wrote:
you are more than likely missing valuable Codecs for your system. Is it Vista, XP, 1998... if it 's one of these I can help


I run on XP. You may be right, I might be missing codecs, that makes sense, especially after I've run several scans for viruses and whatnot and removed whatever they found, and yet I still have the same problem.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Red_Alchemist

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 726

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I thought you meant that the Installer program itself didn't work, rather than the Live file.

First off, which version are you installing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Alchemist wrote:
Ah, I see. I thought you meant that the Installer program itself didn't work, rather than the Live file.

First off, which version are you installing?


It said I needed 3.1 or later, so I got that and I also got 4.5 (assuming it's the latest one, I don't if it is).

I ran both, but even after I did that Messenger still wouldn't install.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Red_Alchemist

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 726

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have SP2 or SP3 installed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Alchemist wrote:
And you have SP2 or SP3 installed?


I don't know. I guess I should find out.

EDIT: Ok, Service Pack, right. I tried downloading that last night, but again I get Page Load Error: Connection Interrupted. Every download I try to make of anything gets blocked like that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Red_Alchemist

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 726

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it's a problem with the entire installer. Did this problem start immediately or did you get some stuff installed before the download issues started?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Alchemist wrote:
OK, so it's a problem with the entire installer. Did this problem start immediately or did you get some stuff installed before the download issues started?


It's only the Windows stuff that isn't wanting to download. I managed to reinstall other programs just fine, like YIM, Skype, AIM, although I had no problem with Windows Media Player either.

I still have the Windows Live Messenger program saved when I downloaded it the first time, it just won't install and I can't get anything else to download like the Service Pack.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cooro_the_chibi_crow17

Evangelion is cool



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: Same place I was when you left me. Right here >.>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeChaser_Twice wrote:
Red_Alchemist wrote:
OK, so it's a problem with the entire installer. Did this problem start immediately or did you get some stuff installed before the download issues started?


It's only the Windows stuff that isn't wanting to download. I managed to reinstall other programs just fine, like YIM, Skype, AIM, although I had no problem with Windows Media Player either.

I still have the Windows Live Messenger program saved when I downloaded it the first time, it just won't install and I can't get anything else to download like the Service Pack.


it could be a problem with your OS version too. check your software version and see if there are any patches for it. maybe that is what is keeping you from downloading. I re-did a computer for a friend, worst case scenario= you have to reinstall your OS and Driver Software, if so, i suggest you just invest in Vista.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ichigo

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

God of Anime (アニメの神様)


Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Posts: 2070
Location: Nara City, Nara, Japan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also run rootkit revealer. You might have a rootkit that is preventing updates to Windows, thus leaving you vulnerable to other things. I can't say I've heard of one that does that though.

Thanks,

Ichigo
_________________

グレンラガン! スピンオン! 俺を誰だっと思ってる
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichigo wrote:
You might also run rootkit revealer. You might have a rootkit that is preventing updates to Windows, thus leaving you vulnerable to other things. I can't say I've heard of one that does that though.

Thanks,

Ichigo


I'll give that a try then.

And I found out what it was that trapped my computer in a never-ending restart loop: it's the Windows SP3. For some reason, when I install that service pack, my computer doesn't like it, and I have to go through the entire process of system recovery again.

I found out tonight after trying to install SP3, and even though I've recovered the system, I'm still unable to download Messenger.

Cooro_the_chibi_crow17 wrote:
it could be a problem with your OS version too. check your software version and see if there are any patches for it. maybe that is what is keeping you from downloading. I re-did a computer for a friend, worst case scenario= you have to reinstall your OS and Driver Software, if so, i suggest you just invest in Vista.


I hope it doesn't have to resort to that sort of measure, but if nothing else works I'll keep it in mind.

EDIT:
And now there's a new wrinkle to the tale. Every time I log off here, my password expires and I have to be sent a new one...

WTF?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ichigo

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

God of Anime (アニメの神様)


Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Posts: 2070
Location: Nara City, Nara, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeChaser_Twice wrote:

And now there's a new wrinkle to the tale. Every time I log off here, my password expires and I have to be sent a new one...

WTF?


Don't know why, but your account was set to force a password change. I've fixed that now.

Thanks,

Ichigo
_________________

グレンラガン! スピンオン! 俺を誰だっと思ってる
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 3451
Location: Time & Space

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichigo wrote:
TimeChaser_Twice wrote:

And now there's a new wrinkle to the tale. Every time I log off here, my password expires and I have to be sent a new one...

WTF?


Don't know why, but your account was set to force a password change. I've fixed that now.

Thanks,

Ichigo


At least it wasn't part of the overall problem. Thanks. Smilie_PDT
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group