Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Wii HD Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: The Wii HD Thread Reply with quote

So the Wii HD (most likely pronounced weed) has officially been announced by Nintendo.

Thoughts?
Hopes?
News?
Ridiculously speculative and baseless rumors?
GO!!!

Upon seeing these clear photographs of what appear to be a physical model of the "Project Cafe" console, I could react in two ways. First, the photographs could lend credence to past info leaks, suggesting that all of this is real and the Wii successor truly has the listed features and design.

Conversely, I could conclude that someone either built or made a convincing 3D model of the device, thinking that the hours of labor required would be worth it when someone was maybe kind of fooled. As this is the course of events that would best justify my constant cynicism, it should be no surprise that it's the one toward which I'm leaning.

I like Awesomeness, Randomness, and Fun!!!

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Stop saying "animu" please.

Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to call it the Wiiii

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Toya
SaitoHajime101

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if thats the main selling point for the Wii, then I'll definitely not be taking a second look at it. I'll wait until more information comes out before I make a verdict on it though.

Daimyo (大名)

Daimyo (大名)

Location: Shibuya Terminal, Tokyo-To, on the planet you people call Jupiter (It's actually called Azmalrish).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...to put this out there...in the right light, it looks like a gas can...

Whoever said you can't have too many weapons is a genius! Oh wait...that was me.

You know, I've seen a lot of things. But a 10 ton behemoth of metal, powered by a race of beings made of pure energy that are completely genocidal to all other things in the universe was never one of them. Now I can say that, I have in fact, seen it all.
Den

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read "Wii Stream" out there a lot lol. Wii-Wii Stream! omg get it haaaaaa!

"Video Game Musicast and Podcast"

Lord Canti

Daimyo (大名)

Daimyo (大名)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Nintendo was making flasks! Or even gas tanks! But seriously, looks dumb bro. Not buying. I've ruled Nintendo systems out of the "Buying" list.

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way it looks honestly! Makes me want to strap it onto the back of a remote controlled jeep! Very Happy

Even though Nintendo hasn't done the greatest job in keeping their core gamers happy, I am hopeful that they have learned a lot from this current gen cycle.

Time can only tell, but I refuse to let my own bias keep me away from the possibility of something good. I once held a bias towards PS1 because Sony was supposed to release the PS1 as a Super Nintendo peripheral and backed out at the last minute and that led to me missing out on a bunch of really good games at first.

Systems are all about games, and if they can provide the games I am definitely on board.

"Video Game Musicast and Podcast"

Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citing unnamed (and un-numbered) anonymous sources (plural), Kotaku is reporting a handful of notable, albeit predictable, details about Nintendo's upcoming Wii successor, codenamed Project Café. For instance, in lieu of a capacious hard drive, Nintendo will buck industry trends and offer a humble 8GB of flash-based memory augmented by SD card support. If rumors are true and Project Café offers a graphical experience at least competitive with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, we're not sure what the storage solution for DLC (Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare was over 1.5GB) or larger downloadable games (Comic Jumper is nearly 2GB) will be. With that constraint, digital distribution of retail titles would seemingly be off the table.

Speaking of retail games: Also rumored is the disc format for Project Café. It's said to hold 25GB of data which is roughly three times the size of a dual-layer DVD and over five times the size of the single-layer DVD that most Wii titles use. Also 25GB? A single-layer Blu-ray disc, though it's not clear if Project Café will use that standard or, even if it did, if it would enable movie playback. Despite using DVDs, the Wii famously doesn't support DVD video playback.

Speaking of Blu-ray video playback, the magic number usually tossed about by high-def home theater enthusiasts (and Sony marketing goons) is 1080, as in 1080p video resolution. That's one-thousand-and-eighty progressively scanned lines of resolution. Less popular: 1080i, which, yes, has one-thousand-and-eighty lines of resolution, but they're interlaced. If that doesn't sound familiar, that's because it's been somewhat absent since 1080p-compatible televisions and devices have filled the market. Kotaku reports it's heard "mixed things" as to whether Nintendo plans on offering 1080p (or, as Sony would put it circa 2006, "True HD") or 1080i.

As much as I would want to believe every Project Café rumor I hear, I can't forget the delta between the console that Nintendo announced at E3 2006 and the one sitting on the shelf: DVD playback! USB hard drive support! Between now and Café's 2012 launch date, it's anyone's guess.

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubisoft has been a reliable partner for Nintendo, especially so before Wii became a worldwide phenomenon. Red Steel wasn't great, but its existence was Ubisoft showing early belief in the platform. That has continued on 3DS and, expectedly, Ubisoft will be an early supporter of Nintendo's next console, to be unveiled at E3.A key difference this time, however, may be what kinds of games Ubisoft brings to the platform.During Ubisoft's fiscal earnings call today, CEO Yves Guillemot was asked about his plans for supporting the Wii's successor. Specifically, whether the development costs would make an impact, usually by requiring a separate product."First, the platform Nintendo is coming with is really a fantastic platform," said Guillemot. "We think it will be extremely successful and what we see is that we will be able to leverage a lot of the work that we do for Xbox 360 and PS3 when we will create games for the platform. We will not have to redo completely the games we create. We'll be able to use all the capacities the console is giving, but also use all the work that we do for the other platforms."Could we finally see an Assassin's Creed on a Nintendo console? Bet your money on it.Until now, our expectations about the hardware specifications for Nintendo's upcoming hardware have been shaped strictly by rumors. Guillemot represents an on-the-record account of a machine capable of competing, if not necessarily exceeding, the power inside Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's boxes. Nintendo's machine will certainly have its own unique hooks, but publishers having the ability to publish games already coming to Xbox 360 and PS3 anyway should prove a significant boon to Nintendo.

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Noir

Sensei (先生)

Sensei (先生)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even smaller now
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mao Tenshi

Daimyo (大名)

Daimyo (大名)

Location: Shibuya Terminal, Tokyo-To, on the planet you people call Jupiter (It's actually called Azmalrish).

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...they should recolor it or else it will seriously be confused with a gas can...

Whoever said you can't have too many weapons is a genius! Oh wait...that was me.

You know, I've seen a lot of things. But a 10 ton behemoth of metal, powered by a race of beings made of pure energy that are completely genocidal to all other things in the universe was never one of them. Now I can say that, I have in fact, seen it all.
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is most likely a fake. Nintendo has only announced that they are working on a new console and it will be revealed at E3 this year. I don't even think "Project Cafe" was the true code name of the new console.

Regardless, They are going to have to show me the games before I commit to buying it. I already have a PS3, I don't need another overpowered machine for multiple purposes. I would need to see some more mainstream console exclusives at launch and soon after to hook me.

Another thing, If it does use HD (Which it most likely will) do you think it will use Blu-Ray and give Sony a part of the pie just to get one up on Microsoft?

"You think you die and everything's sugar and rainbows?"
-Sazh (FFXIII)
Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a slight possibility that yesterday, somewhere in Los Angeles, a very nervous person was holding a shaky camera in a dark room, where details on the upcoming Nintendo console were discussed. Though it's a fact that Nintendo held an event for developers in Los Angeles yesterday I'm highly suspicious of the YouTube video surfacing with supposed "Project Cafe" information.

A black splash screen opens the video with the dubious statement, "Private presentation of 'Project Cafe' by a video games editor," before approximately 40 seconds of similarly dubious slides are shown just feet above what is alleged to be a running "Project Cafe" unit. The slides depict some things you might expect, as well as some things that we very much doubt would leak. Seeing the rumored giant screen-equipped controller in action with an unidentifiable game, for instance, is especially hard to believe. More believable is the bland presentation of the console's dimensions, as well as specs for the aforementioned controller, though the clip taken in entirety is very hard to trust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgjES1oOTlc&feature=player_embedded

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, folks -- the Wii's successor, the Wii U. It kinda looks like a Wii and an Xbox 360 had an adorable baby.

While Nintendo was blowing minds this morning with the announcement of its new console, the Wii U, the company's Japanese press site was quietly releasing all the juicy specs of the upcoming machine that we hunger for. As mentioned during the presser, the console will output games in high definition, now revealed as ranging from 480i to 1080p. Moreover, the Wii U will output HD by employing HDMI.

As far as internal storage goes, it's still unclear whether or not the Wii U will come packed with an HDD, but the specs sheet does amorphously detail "internal flash storage," as well as an SD slot and the ability to use USB storage. Notably, the list points out that the USB storage will allow for external HDDs. And while the disc slot gives me the impression that Wii U games will be disc-based, Nintendo has yet to reveal its medium of choice.

What about the controller? Well...

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Mao Tenshi

Daimyo (大名)

Daimyo (大名)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...from the looks of it, the controller reminds me of a Game Gear. But when I say that, that is more of how I imagined a controller when I was only about 8 or 9. That is a nice step towards a full console game turned portable.

...though I expect a lot of neck issues in the future.

Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my feelings were ... oh, let's be nice and say "mixed" on Nintendo's just-announced Wii U. Traders on the Tokyo Stock Exchange were pretty much clear about their distaste. Nintendo stock closed down five percent yesterday after the company's E3 keynote, settling at 16,970 yen ($212.44) -- a low the company hasn't seen since before the launch of the original Wii.

It's not good news for Big N, but we're talking about a company that's made its fortunes on seeing opportunities where others don't. And hey, look at it this way, Nintendo: History has proven we'll eventually drop our defenses, conquer our trepidation and buy one anyway. So you've got us.

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do see more possibilities with this console, I think they are just trying to make a large DS. I mean they did have to stop and specifically say that it wasn't developed to be a portable gaming system, for crying out loud. Anyway, I don't really see how the screen would be used for more hardcore games. Not to mention that the controller looks rather clunky to have twitch game play (like Ninja Scroll although it will be on the system).

The upgrade to HD was pretty much a given with how much people didn't like that the Wii didn't have it. It would seem that disc based games (most likely on DVDs) will be used since there doesn't seem to be an HDD.

And with that we can also gather that there won't really be an upgrade to the Nintendo store over what already exists and only smaller programs (be they games, add-ons, videos, ect.) can be downloaded online. Granted the flash memory may be fairly large and may negate my comment, but having support for USB HDDs, and not having an internal one, is just asking for another peripheral to eat up your money.

Overall it doesn't impress me. It may be interesting for what games Nintendo themselves put out for it but I see this going the way of the Wii as far as people getting it for things like Wii sports. Sure third party games will run on the new system but they will most likely all be multi-platform so I don't see a reason to buy this new one (seeing as I don't much care for mario and the like to begin with).

One last thing...What is with the name? They couldn't just call it the "U" or come up with something more engaging than just sticking a letter on the end of the previous console's name? At this point they might as well have just called it the "Wii HD". That at least sounds better.

"You think you die and everything's sugar and rainbows?"
-Sazh (FFXIII)
Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be upfront here: I don't know thing one about chipsets and motherboards. I play video games, I don't build the hardware they come on. But our friends at Engadget, well, they're all about that kinda stuff. So when they tell me that Nintendo's Wii U console will come packing a custom Radeon GPU with a chip similar to the R770, and that the chip is competitively stronger than the GPUs of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, I believe them.

Additionally, the chip is said to run DirectX 10, and is capable of handling four SD video streams -- presumably only one of those streams will be necessary, however, given Shigeru Miyamoto's statements about the WiiPad. As GAME Watch points out, the Xbox 360 was limited to a variation of DirectX 9, while the PS3 employs OpenGL APIs. But now I've gone right off the deep end -- what I'm trying to say is this: the Wii U has a pretty decent graphical processor. Or, more simply, Wii U games will look good, and likely even better than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. There, that wasn't so bad!

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: