Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you can design an anime as an American Film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Discussions/Melting Pot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venka21

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: If you can design an anime as an American Film Reply with quote

Let's say your favorite anime "Hypothetically Speaking" has received a green light to be made into a film.

Before you start charging me with your pitch forks, flaming torches, and your "Ain't gonna happen" rants please work with me here.

So lets just say "Insert Anime Title Here" has been picked up by "Insert name of film company of your choice" but they don't want it to be as bad as say "Dragon Ball Abomination" so they come to you as a fan and say:

"We have this anime that has been selected to be made into a movie, and we want an expert of this particular title to help us make this movie marketable."

So if you could have the movie anyway you want, how should it be filmed, who should directs, what actors do you want playing it, and how should the screen play go.
PoliticalGamer

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start out by saying I've found fanfiction of any kind, whether some kind of adaptation or expanded universe of some kind, a good exercise. I know when I wrote my book some ideas from said fiction got adapted into it.

So, as for the question at hand: Right now I would love to write a three movie adaptation of Gundam 00. I think of all the Gundam series, this is the best for adaptation (Wing is too good to be touched), although probably the most expensive considering the amount of CGI and the large cast.
I'll save the details, in part because I am considering writing this as a fanfiction. In general, as a trilogy this would be in a similar model as the Rebuild of Eva. The first movie would be very similar to the first season, while the second starts out similar to the second then diverges, then the third is almost completely different.
The entire thing would be an anti-Transformers, where the entire story is taken seriously and have actual well-written characters. In many ways more ambitious because it isn't purely a heroes vs. villains story, but would definitely make it much more than a popcorn flick.
infinity_57401

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already mentioned this before but I will go with Neon Genesis Evangelion only because this is my best thought out choice at the moment. One of the biggest hurdles is making a film that within a reasonable budget. If I could get it made for between 75 and 100 million I think it has a shot at being profitable. I would not change any of the names of the characters, a good excuse with this is since the world kind of ended by the beginning of the series you could easily explain why they have names like Shinji or Rei. My choice for director would be Christopher Nolan, I believe he would have a good grasp on the dark elements that come with the story. Watch any of his films and he clearly likes to emphasize what goes on in someone's head. Of course Inception is a blunt example but watch Memento or Batman Begins and you will see what I mean. For the lead characters I would probably choose newcomers since we would need somewhat young to mid teens to portray our leads. Gendo would be played by Liam Neeson, that dude that works beside Gendo would be played by Gary Oldman. Misato would be played by Ashley Greene. And lastly to keep this from being an overly long post, Ryan Gosling as Kaji. The screen play would be a loose adaptation of the first 6-10 episodes, while still maintaining the basic outline. I would want it technically new, so that fans and non-fans could enjoy the movie. I guess I want people to enjoy it on different levels if possible.

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an anime I'd choose to be adapted is Full Metal Alchemist.

It has a European Setting and doesn't bog itself down with Asian Culture so it would be easy to follow by western audiences, and you have three different versions to adapt information from.

Some things that would help the movie is cutting out the parts where people joke about Ed being short. That could come in maybe once or twice, but it shouldn't be used as a running gag...it gets old.

Also taking the flashbacks about Ed and Alphonse's child hood and use that to begin the story. To move from present day to flash back is disorienting for the audience, especially if the setting is in live action. This gets the back story out of the way for the people who know and understand Full Metal Alchemist, but its explanatory to anyone who hasn't seen the series or read the manga.

the story is also large enough to make into several movies. I'm not up to date as far as film actors so I don't know who to suggest.

The story should start with someone (older Alphonse maybe) explaining that Alchemy is a science that breaks down matter into something else and that it follows the laws of Equivalent Exchange. However it's not an all powerful art for there are some sacrifices that have no equal.

The scene shifts to young Ed and Alphonse creating a doll using alchemy for their friend Winry Rockbell and end up scaring her. All three characters will be played by unknown child actors.

After this their Mother Tricia Rockbell shows them their fathers old study to let them use his Alchemy books. Time passes, there is some allusion to there being an illness spreading through town and the Rockbell's aren't able to treat everyone.

Ed and Al return home from shopping and find their mother on deaths door. Tricia dies in Ed's arms. Ed and Alphonse stay with the Rockbell's until Uray Rockbell and his wife go to offer medical aid during the war in Ishval. Word comes that Winry's parents had become casualties during the war. Edward and Alphonse return to their empty home and Ed turns to a chapter on Human Alchemy.

Scene where Ed and Alphonse try to bring their mother back with Alchemy. Mustang and Hawkeye are in Resembool looking for Hoenhime when they see the alchemical reaction.

Alphonse disappears while Ed has lost his left leg. He uses alchemy to bind his brothers soul to a suit of armor.

While Ed and Alphonse recover from their ordeal, Mustang talks with Pinako about talking to the two boys about becoming State Alchemists. Pinako is dubious but agrees to allow this conversation. After Mustang and Hawkeye depart Ed tells Pinako to make him a new arm and leg with automail with the promise that he would recover with in a years time.

A year passes with Ed and Alphonse leaving for central. Mustang tells Ed to get on the train that is departing or go home. Unbeknownst to Edward, Führer King Bradly is on the train with his family. The train is attacked by terrorists, both Ed and Alphonse defeat the terrorists. Führer Bradly is impressed by Ed's skill in Alchemy and says he would make an exception and allow Edward to take the Alchemist Exam even though he's under 18.

There is some implied conversation about an unknown man killing off State Alchemists. Ed and Alphonse stay with the Tuckers while they prepare for the exam. When Ed passes he sends a letter to their friend Winry to inform her that he is now an Alchemist. Winry comes to central to pay him a surprise visit and is abducted and nearly killed by Berry the Chopper. After Winry is rescued, Hughes offers to have Winry stay with his family, when his heavily pregnant wife goes into labor Winry takes command if the of the situation and delivers Elicia. Edward is informed that he has been given his official State Alchemist Title, Fullmetal and his first act is to investigate a supposed Miracle man in Lior.

Ed returns to the Tuckers to tell them good-bye and thank you when he notices the new Chimera that Tucker has created. Edward realizes that the Chimera was created using the family dog and Tucker's daughter Nina. Tucker tells Elric since knows this he can't leave the house alive and mocks Ed by saying they were the same using the fact that Alphonse was just a suit of armor as proof. Tucker is arrested and imprisoned in his house to wait his for his pending trial and execution.

An unknown man with a x shaped scar on his forehead bursts in and says he brings divine justice for Tuckers crimes, and kills Tucker by frying his brain with Alchemy. The man then kills the Nina/Alexander Chimera out of pity.

On their way to Lior, Alphonse innocently suggests that they pay Nina a visit when they return. Elsewhere Father informs Lust and Gluttony to go to Lior and meet up with Envy.
Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm quite against American movie adaptations of anime; I always find them abhorrently misrepresentative of the source material and only hurts anime as a viable form of media and entertainment. Perhaps that's just because of the American directors in charge of these projects who don't understand anime. Perhaps they could hire a very wellknown Japanese director who knows the source material to keep them on the right track? I dunno.

As for your question I would say none of them. Leave the anime for Japan or else I believe it'll just make American's opinions on the source material worse. I know that's not the answer the OP was expecting but that's all I have. xD

I like Awesomeness, Randomness, and Fun!!!

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Stop saying "animu" please.

venka21

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menos wrote:
Personally, I'm quite against American movie adaptations of anime; I always find them abhorrently misrepresentative of the source material and only hurts anime as a viable form of media and entertainment. Perhaps that's just because of the American directors in charge of these projects who don't understand anime. Perhaps they could hire a very wellknown Japanese director who knows the source material to keep them on the right track? I dunno.

As for your question I would say none of them. Leave the anime for Japan or else I believe it'll just make American's opinions on the source material worse. I know that's not the answer the OP was expecting but that's all I have. xD

That's why I was saying "if they approached you as a fan" because you are an expert of the story and have some idea of how you would like the story to be played out. So lets say you were the director, how would you adapt an anime into a film.

But if you feel anime or manga shouldn't be adapted into film, then that is purely your opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Discussions/Melting Pot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: