AP 548 - Q. Openings

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 548 - Q. Openings

Post by VicMonado »

I love OP's do you like OP's? Do you skip'em after you've seen them once or do you watch every time? What are some of your favorite OP's and why?

P.s Happy to announce that Anime Pulse is now up on Discord so if you're a subscriber or patron check your inbox, links should be provided on Saturdays. See you round!
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Re: AP 548 - Q. Openings

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Anything by Man with a Mission generally strikes a chord with me, like the OP for Nanatsu no Taizai S1, Inuyashiki and the ED for B: the Beginning. They're just really good at getting an emotion across with their music, usually HYPE. Another one that I love is the third OP from My Hero Academia, for similar hype-inducing reasons. These are the kind of openings I'd gladly watch multiple times because they get me really excited for the show. If an OP gets you really pumped it's doing something right.

Some other notable mentions are:
The OP from the first season of Mushishi, which is nice and tranquil and fits the show perfectly.
The crazy but incredibly catchy OP to Kokkoku.
and the incredibly disturbing OP to Paranoia Agent, which really sticks with you, but for less pleasant reasons than many of the above. It's just plain haunting.

-Crooh
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

Hands down, anything by Yoko Kanno. My all-time fav has got to be Tank! by Kanno and The Seatbelts, which is the unforgettable OP for Cowboy Bebop. Iconic and awesome, just like the anime it introduces. I have lots of favorite OPs and EDs, for various anime, old and new, but this one has to be mentioned.
Wherever you go... there you are.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Time to say something blasphemous. I generally don't like anime openings, specifically the choice of songs. Most of them, to me, seem to be generic contemporary J-Pop songs whose purpose is to annoy and delay getting to the main content of the show. It doesn't help that some shows seem to have spent most of the budget on the opening and ending...:P

Having said that, there are some openings that I do enjoy.
  • Bubblegum Crisis 2032 - Not a traditional opening as with current anime. It''s instead a highly detailed opening scene that depicts the events leading to the plot of this second OVA. But more importantly, it's got some very good music in the form of an 80's J-Rock, "Mad Machine" by Kinuko Ohmori.
  • Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei - Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Youtube link for this, but the opening to the second season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has a very catchy song and the odd animation style adds to the quirkiness. Fun fact. As the series goes on, the OP gradually gets more detailed in each successive episode, culminating in a fully coloured version for the last episode. The song Kuusou Rumba is also very catchy.
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - OK, I don't like most J-Pop OPs but this one manages to somehow avoid upsetting me too much. The quirky animation helps introduce us to the premise of this show as well, showing almost all of the principle cast and some of the side characters.
  • Martian Successor Nadesico - A real blast from the past. This was back in the day where animation was still done via hand with minimal computer assistance, if any. Don't let the po-faced look of the characters fool you. Most of the show is rather comedic in nature up until the last few episodes. It helps that the song is really catchy and evokes the old school 90s feel. This show is remembered fondly as it, along with Evangelion and Bubblegum Crisis, brought me back into the anime fold after a long absence.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

I love a good opening. In fact I think you can tell whether or not an anime will be based on it op (not all the time) or get you hyped up if it already a good show. A few of my favorite op's are:
Hey Kids- from Noragami season 2
Bloody Stream- from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 2
And I got to go with a classic Tank from Cowboy Bebob.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
Illicit Material
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Illicit Material »

For the most part I so not watch openings for anime. I don’t like give up beat pop music that normally is accompanied with most openings. That and I always think there are some spoilers in the openings. Idk that’s probably not true. That being said there are a few openings that I have watched every time. Kakeguri the gambleing anime had an amazing op. Deadmans wonderland had an amazing metal opening. There are probably other great ones but these are the ones right off the top of my head.
QueenInoue
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by QueenInoue »

I love openings and ending themes!!!! There are shows I picked up just because I happened to hear the opening theme and liked it lol. Music is probably my biggest criteria when watching anime. Some of my favorites are Aikotoba from Animegataris, & Naked Dive from Musaigen no phantom world. there are many others but i just don't have time to list them all. Saying this i will say my playlist on my phone which i usually listen to in the car when im not listening to podcasts is over 700 songs long with OPs and EDs from anime i have watched. there are some anime songs i have yet to obtain that are proving challenging to find legally that have not yet been added. but yeah.
Queen Inoue Shiromaka

YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

Before I begin, "Flyers" is incredible. I went and watched EVERY music video Bradio has on their Youtube because I loved it so much. I also admire when Japanese rock an afro.

When I saw the title of this thread, one op came to mind first

Serial Experiments Lain OP - "Duvet" by Boa

I like the Lain OP more for the music than the animation or visuals, but I LOVE Lain. It was the late 90s, and this came around the same time as The Matrix. I was in cyberpunk heaven when these two things came into my life, and that's why the OP is always not to distant in my memory.

Oh, and I'll shout out Rock the Dragon because a) my screen name, duh and b) an English original OP song that isn't incredibly embarrassing!

This OP is embarrassing, no matter who sings it
MarinerBert
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by MarinerBert »

If I really like an OP, I listen to it as a warm up to the episode. Otherwise I skip it. My current ani-song playlist is around 80. It used to be around 130 but I realized I was skipping over songs to get to the songs I really wanted to hear. So I trimmed it.

I want to mention "Connect" by ClariS which was the OP for Puella Magi Madoka Magica. At first listen, it's a nice J-Pop song. ClariS at the time were middle school duo whose identities were not known. But if you really listened to the lyrics, you would be blown away when you got around to watching episode 10. You were listening to the song for 9 episodes without realizing its significance within the story being told.
Shieldbro
Fan
Fan

Post by Shieldbro »

I don't really like to watch and listen to the openings in an anime and I usually skip them. To me, it seems like most anime do a better job for the EDs and I have a lot more of those that I like.

As of right now, I only have two OPs that I enjoy listening to: My Soul Your Beats from Angel Beats! and Daze from Mekakucity Actors.