AP 552 - Q. The Unsung

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 552 - Q. The Unsung

Post by VicMonado »

In entertainment mediums typically the cream rises to the top in terms of recognition though arguably not all the time. We all have our own tastes and priorities as to what makes a show great so today I ask you, are there any anime that are underrated/underappreciated in your eyes and why?

Oh also a big thank you to everyone who showed up for the liveshow recording yesterday, I had a lot of fun!
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 552 - Q. the Unsung

Post by xahldera »

I would like to submit "Knights of Sidonia" as a candidate for under appreciated Anime. I believe Joe reviewed it in a previous episode of the show and I admit I didn't give it much credence at the time as the review made it sound "interesting but not worth immediate attention". I only finally got round to watching it after a friend suggested it. I wish I saw it sooner. I feel Sidonia is underrated because it has been, sadly in my humble opinion, eclipsed by his more famous work, "BLAME!". It also adds some twists to the Sci-Fi mecha series by not just having the main protagonist get a super power mech and love and adulation from the beginning, but instead has them start at the bottom of the heap and have to fight for even a modicum of respect. Even after that, internal politics and pettiness on the part of other characters threaten the protagonist's attempts to do what is right for the greater good.

Possible Spoiler Alert. Turn back if you don't like what you see. You have been warned!

One of the things I particularly liked about Sidonia was when a situation occurs where the Captain of the titular ship has to make a difficult decision regarding a manoeuvre that would result in massive amounts of death and injury due to the inertial force that would be experienced, but the alternative was to do nothing and put the ship into a potentially more dangerous situation that would result in many more deaths, possibly everyone if nothing was done. In some other series, they might have BS-d some miracle cure/plan that would result in everyone being unharmed. Not in Sidonia. Even in a Science Fiction story, it conveyed very well a near realistic dilemma. That stark choice of do something and suffer severe and fatal consequences, or do nothing, or possibly an alternative and endure even worse consequences that make the first choice a lot better. Sometimes life isn't fair and we don't get to win and at that point in the plot, the Captain and all the other major characters end knowing that all too well. That is something you don't see in many other Anime often and another reason why I think this Anime is underrated.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

An anime I think is underrated is Michiko and hatchin. A show about a women and a girl coming together to find the same person. while the mission is to find them, the focus is on their journey of the two learning and growing from each other (I don't want to spoil anything I want you to watch it, if you haven't). It was always one that when ever I bought it up know one had heard of.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

xahldera wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:24 pm I would like to submit "Knights of Sidonia" as a candidate for under appreciated Anime. I believe Joe reviewed it in a previous episode of the show and I admit I didn't give it much credence at the time as the review made it sound "interesting but not worth immediate attention". I only finally got round to watching it after a friend suggested it. I wish I saw it sooner. I feel Sidonia is underrated because it has been, sadly in my humble opinion, eclipsed by his more famous work, "BLAME!". It also adds some twists to the Sci-Fi mecha series by not just having the main protagonist get a super power mech and love and adulation from the beginning, but instead has them start at the bottom of the heap and have to fight for even a modicum of respect. Even after that, internal politics and pettiness on the part of other characters threaten the protagonist's attempts to do what is right for the greater good.

Possible Spoiler Alert. Turn back if you don't like what you see. You have been warned!

One of the things I particularly liked about Sidonia was when a situation occurs where the Captain of the titular ship has to make a difficult decision regarding a manoeuvre that would result in massive amounts of death and injury due to the inertial force that would be experienced, but the alternative was to do nothing and put the ship into a potentially more dangerous situation that would result in many more deaths, possibly everyone if nothing was done. In some other series, they might have BS-d some miracle cure/plan that would result in everyone being unharmed. Not in Sidonia. Even in a Science Fiction story, it conveyed very well a near realistic dilemma. That stark choice of do something and suffer severe and fatal consequences, or do nothing, or possibly an alternative and endure even worse consequences that make the first choice a lot better. Sometimes life isn't fair and we don't get to win and at that point in the plot, the Captain and all the other major characters end knowing that all too well. That is something you don't see in many other Anime often and another reason why I think this Anime is underrated.
Really loved Knights I hopping it does come back for a season 3. I do have to read blame, I saw the movie I wasn't quite moved from it. I did read up on the changes though I can see why they had to cut down on how to tell it.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
InnocuousBlonde
Fan
Fan

Post by InnocuousBlonde »

Oh! Planetes was very good... and I feel like no one really saw it except me and my husband. We started reading the manga first and were psyched when it was animated; the studio did a lovely job and the dub was also quite good. The anime follows the manga fairly closely, though, so you could consume either one and pretty much get the experience.

More recently, maybe The Woman Called Fujiko Mine? It seemed to generate some buzz since it's a spinoff of the popular long-running Lupin III franchise, but 6 years later I don't hear much about it. It has alot I love - strong, complex female lead, interesting art and character design, cool episodic stories, a darker tone and sexy content. I know people expecting more Lupin III comedy and action were probably not tickled by it (I actually distinctly remember Ichigo commenting about it when I brought it up in as part of forum discussion, and if memory serves, his wife saw some of it and was like "That's not Lupin."). But I dug it!

BTW Andrew, I bet you're getting an appreciation for all the work our Former Inquisitor General/current primary host Joseph put in during the earlier days of his cohosting. ;)
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Post by Midnight Crooh »

I'd say Shiki is a pretty underrated show. Sure, it does have some really sily character designs, but the story is a solid horror affair with some really interesting themes and undertones that slowly ramp up over the course of the show until it all climaxes in a huge clusterfuck at the end. Easily one of the best horror anime I've ever watched, yet I never really see it mentioned much in that context.

-Crooh
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

Given Crunchy Roll's nominations the last two years I have concluded that there are too many good anime that go unrecognized by the mainstream. There are a few I think got short shrift and a few that were watched by many but were ignored after their run, when I think they should have recieved more respect. There are so many, but if I had to name names, I think Saga of Tanya the Evil is one. Another that comes to mind is Broken Blade.
And I am surprised by how Silver Spoon was glossed over.
Wherever you go... there you are.
VicMonado
Site Admin

Post by VicMonado »

InnocuousBlonde wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 pm BTW Andrew, I bet you're getting an appreciation for all the work our Former Inquisitor General/current primary host Joseph put in during the earlier days of his cohosting. ;)
I had to check with him about what you meant as I wasn't around at that time but after that and yeah mad props and I'm also glad I get to do that now. =D