VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Discuss individual shows here
darkgodakito
Fan er er
Fan er er

VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Post by darkgodakito »

"In light of the dawn of E3, does it have any relevance in today's social media/leak saturated world?"

~submitted by Xahldera
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Re: VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Post by YotaruVegeta »

People still watch it live and get hyped for it, so it has some kind of relevance. I don't know the numbers, but E3 is gamer Christmas. Or maybe Christmas is gamer Christmas. ANYHOO, I'm not into it on the day of the event, but I like to hear about all the new games and announcements the day after.

What I really care about isn't this E3, but where all those games promised at the previous E3 are! Just tell us that they're all canceled!
Androes
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Androes »

Well if every new game get "leaked" ,then it probably won't be worth watching . However if the game companies can keep something secret till E3 it might be worth watching. It going to be relevant if there is something new that hasn't been "leaked".
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

I would LIKE to think E3 is and can remain relevant, but I have the niggling concern that it might be going the way of other such conventions and trade shows. The reason for this would not be particularly due to a fall in consumer/gamer interest — because I think gamers in particular are still quite pumped about these announcements of new titles and products — rather, the game companies themselves seem to be trying to kill the golden goose through their foolish use of what the VGP crew have dubbed "the ninja janitors", i.e., the senseless leaks by companies in the weeks and days leading up to the event itself. I can bet the development teams themselves have been killing themselves for a year or more keeping the lid on their project only to have some marketing wonk decide a strategic leak to be a "brilliant" strategy. If I were on such a team I'd be wanting to kill my marketing staff, because all this does is put a huge damper on what gets presented at the big show, and all your careful diligence is dashed, to no good effect. Why keep your project secret at all then?
And then it puts a sour light on E3 itself because all of the lackluster and hohum disappointment is due to the thunder being fizzled away beforehand. The showrunners have got to be flummoxed at the idiocy of their participant companies. And as interest wains and the consumers look elsewhere, the E3 hosts will get the blame. I am starting to feel sorry for them.
Wherever you go... there you are.
VicMonado
Site Admin

Post by VicMonado »

Well relevant in terms of marketing not so much because of everything that keeps being mentioned with the "leaks" and such. But I'd say it can be plenty relevant for players like me who want to see more than just the trailers and announcements we get online. Playing is believing when it comes to games and while I don't get to go and try them out myself the next best thing is seeing people try out the available demos and giving their perspectives out on it. The secondary point of relevance (although far less important) is the memes, there's always at least one train wreck or funny thing that happens so that's entertaining and perhaps good marketing anyways...

Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

I would like to think that E3 still has relevance, if it stopped with releasing things before the conferences start. Last year there were too many times where I went "you told us this already" with no new info given to said announcement. I hope the cons are not that chatty with useless pandering, try to be funny humor, or fake mutiplayer squad dialog droning on. But of course there will be, we need the memes after all.That said I would as least like to see 3 new IPs and smooth gameplay demos.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
vailreth
Fan
Fan

Post by vailreth »

i think for General Consumers, E3 dosent hold the relevance it once did. with moves like Xbox play anywhere and sony's streaming service, they are kinda making E3 only for marketing groups and CEOs. while it can be a great place to expose the audience to games, as said by another, the marketing companies still think these "leaks" are doing the job, but they only server to highlight what ever small things the companies didnt deem worthy to leak. SO yeah as i stated previously i dont think E3 is relevant to us general consumers ... nintendo does their own thing and other companies are starting to follow that path.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

I am going to give a oddly controversial answer to my own topic.

"Yes"

E3 does have relevance even in a social media saturated world, even with all the leaks being shown all over the place. Bear with me folks. I'll explain as best as I can why this is.

For all the leaks going around, E3 can still sometimes spring the odd genuine surprise when it comes to gaming announcements. For all their abilities, the Ninja Janitors can't get everything. And those leaks still need substantiating and E3 is as good an event as any to do this, if the publishers involved don't confirm any rumours sooner. I know they can do this immediately after the leak and many, the VGP crew themselves, often criticise the companies for not confirming rumours sooner the moment leaks come out. However there is a certain level of gravitas seeing an official announcement at a bit event rather than seeing staff scrambling around to give an unplanned statement to address any revelations made by a leak while looking sheepish.

The other reason I still feel E3 has some relevance in today's leak and social media saturated world is because, for me personally, it is a useful barometer of public opinion on various gaming products and services. The amount of hype surrounding certain products gives me an idea of what gaming products are worth looking at and if they have any promise. This is something that isn't always visible on the internet outside of E3.

There is also a level of fun following the spectacle of the event and the stuff surrounding it. I enjoy reading up on what is going on from there along with the cringe worthy moments, which you are guaranteed to get at the event itself. I mean, no amount of leaks will ever get you the classic Sony E3 2006 moment, with "Giant Enemy Crabs", "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" and Kaz Hirai shouting "Ridge Racer!!" at the audience... :mrgreen:

tl;dr E3 is still relevant because I like following gaming media circuses.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

I think E3 is still relevant however it is really hard to endorse this question because so my video game publishers and developers "leak" game announcements 2-3 weeks before E3. If they are going to announce games before E3 then its kind of pointless have a conference. Personally I think the leaks are spoiling the enjoyment of E3 a little bit for me. I still watch E3 but not on the day the conferences stream, usually a few days later so I can fast forward through all the rubbish and leak game info.

Also I don't think E3 is gonna be around much longer since it now open to the public and most of the Big Video Game Publishers have their own events now like Sony and Nintendo do. Also E3 has to compete with Gamescom, Tokyo Game show and Paris game week which are also huge conferences.

Love the show--- :D

Trinity
Attachments
HZD
HZD
download.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 16421 times
What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
GhoulShinobi
Fan
Fan

Post by GhoulShinobi »

While I personally love E3 and it gives me something to look forward to every year I don’t think it’s as important to the every day consumer. It’s like the super bowl of video games. Even though I know a lot of the games that are gonna be talked about I still enjoy sitting down with some chips and watching it. But not all people do.