VGP 309 Discussion Topic: Games With Missing Content

Discuss individual shows here
darkgodakito
Fan er er
Fan er er

VGP 309 Discussion Topic: Games With Missing Content

Post by darkgodakito »

What are your thoughts and opinions about the news that the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy's physical disk copy would only be shipping with 1/3 of its promised content on the raw disk, with the rest being available via download? Is this a wise move for Activision to save money in the long run, or is this setting a dangerous precedent for games in the future to ship physical copies that are lacking in base-game content which can be patched in upon installation?

Let us know!!
~Aki
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Re: VGP 309 Discussion Topic: Games With Missing Content

Post by YotaruVegeta »

I think it's a really weird move. It makes me think that they fell short on time, or didn't feel like the work hours associated with this made financial sense. I don't know if there have been other games that have done this. I can only think of Capcom doing this. I think it was a Marvel Vs. Capcom game having the characters locked on the disc, and you had to pay to unlock them? Something like that. I may have that a bit wrong. Anyhoo, if you're someone who pays for physical copies, I think you're more likely to not want to download games onto your drive. It doesn't sound like a good deal for the consumer, even if it's convenient.
GhoulShinobi
Fan
Fan

Post by GhoulShinobi »

I thInk it has something to do with them not having enough time and needed more time then the people who manufacture the disc gave them. I have REALLY slow internet (54kb/s down 32kb/s up with 400ms ping). So I want everyth On the disc for consoles. With my gaming pc I can go somewhere with fast internet and download it on my laptop then transfer it to my desktop. But sadly you can’t do that with a console. Anyway don’t say this disc has the game on it if it has 1/3 of the game on it. I want to be able to put the game in and play the game period.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

It's Activision — almost as bad as EA. This is the same publisher that encouraged Bungie to remove actual content from the initial install of Destiny, only to parcel it out in subsequent DLC, with that content still on the original disc awaiting being unlocked. THAT Activision. (Yeah, I'm still chapped about all of that.)

The question is why do so many consumers put up with such ill treatment by these big, callous corporations, which only encourages them to do more of the same.
Wherever you go... there you are.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

It is an unfortunate, dick move on the part of Activision. I think it is endemic of two key reasons.
  1. Activision are pushing for the game disc to be released soon, possibly to capitalise on the hype of the announcement and because they want to avoid having their thunder stolen.
  2. Activision are greedy b******s and the executives are worried that every second the game is not released is a gazillion dollars being lost to their competitors. Also they might be planning on releasing the other Spyro games as chargeable DLC.
Jim Sterling, famous independent gaming pundit, said it best in that the Games Publishers still have this old fashioned blinkered view of thinking. That it is all a "zero sum game". One less cent they take in sales is one more to their rivals. The world doesn't quite work like that. But they are unable or unwilling to think of the world in this way, lest it requires them to make the effort to try something new and disrupts their convenient sources of income.

To answer the question posed by rampant_a_i:
rampant_a_i wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:20 pm the question is why do so many consumers put up with such ill treatment by these big, callous corporations, which only encourages them to do more of the same.
Because we consumers are either:
  1. Stupid.
  2. Have no choice.
  3. Are masochists.
Which might explain why consumers keep putting up with the ill treatment. In the case of point A, there are those gamers who are genuinely supportive of large corporations and they can do no wrong in their eyes, even if it is obvious they are. In the case of point B, given how large some of these corporations are and how much of the market they occupy, it is difficult to avoid them. Boycotting them often means no games for you! Yes there are indie games devs and publishers but if you are looking for a "Triple A" style experience, it is hard to find an indie dev with the budget to match that. Point C is related to point A. Some of are stupid and keep throwing our money at things that don't deserve our money anyway because apparently we like pain and think "Well, it won't be as bad as last time".

tl;dr Activision wants all your money and hype.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

vailreth
Fan
Fan

Post by vailreth »

Well i am juts going to say this... this is just a, Next Level, of the Day 1 DLC/Patch poopoodoodoo....so now instead of shipping a broken product and fixing it Later, or releasing content cut out of the Product.... they Just put the first third of the product on disk.... its like Shareware from back in theday BUT You are paying upfront for the full thing and only getting a third of what you bought with the Promise of the rest if you have Good Internet. i mean Come On why are video game consumers Buying this poopoodoodoo... you dont sell A third of a car... Half a Sandwich.... 2 fifths of a god blessed couch... hell even sectionals of those come in a complete package!