AP 575 - First Impressions

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 575 - First Impressions

Post by VicMonado »

Thing about first impressions is that you only get to make them once and in that same vain the first episode of anime can arguably be the most important in any given series. In the spirit of that please name some series that have amazing first episodes and please describe why that is.

While I came up with this topic it is inspired by a conversation I had with user Paltir on the Discord.
Shieldbro
Fan
Fan

Re: AP 575 - First Impressions

Post by Shieldbro »

There's not a lot anime that catch my attention on the first episode. The one that I remember that really caught my attention was Re:zero's first episode. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works also got me to watch the series because to me, the art style was way better than any other anime at the time. I'm pretty sure Goblin Slayer would have definitely would have grabbed my attention had I not been religiously reading the manga and light novel.
Last edited by Shieldbro on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GhoulShinobi
Fan
Fan

Post by GhoulShinobi »

It took me a little while to come up with an answer but I got one. In the first episode of Death parade (from what I can remember it's been awhile) you start off thinking Decim is just some Psycopath, who enjoys making people play party games where the players lives are on the line. You don't learn until later that that's not the case.
Deathparadevisual.jpg
Deathparadevisual.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 7807 times
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

Last Exile had me right off the start with their obvious love for flight. I was immediately hooked by its skyscape visuals, epic battles and steampunkish aesthetic.

I could name more, but that is enough for now... :D
Wherever you go... there you are.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

For me it would be Gate Keepers 21. The bleak world it portrays caught me of guard. Especially in contrast to its prequel series with there parents.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

I think Fullmetal Alchemist has a great first episode. Instead of immediately going with "Yay! We're on an adventure!" We start off with the tragic circumstances which led Ed to become a State Alchemist. Then you get your action, and you get your first mention of the philosopher's stone, which becomes important for future events.

Action, heart, and tragedy. You get the full breadth of the show in the pilot ep.