AP 588 - CG Shows

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 588 - CG Shows

Post by VicMonado »

CG shows have become a lot more high profile than they used to be as of late, with shows like Kemono Friends, Land of the Lustrous and of course the classic Beserk 2016 gaining more traction than older shows. What are your thoughts on CG anime, love em? hate em? Perhaps you have ideas for anime that could be done in CG, just any thoughts are welcome here. Peace
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 588 - CG Shows

Post by rampant_a_i »

CG is just a tool in the animator’s toolbox. Unfortunately too many use this tool as a crutch for bad animation.

It is funny that you show the 2016 Berserk anime series in the GIF above as an example of bad CG anime — for it IS very bad, certainly, enough to detract from their adaption of a great manga story. But at the same time compare that to the CG in the Beserk movies that cover the Golden Age arc — THAT was excellent, to the point that one rarely ever notices the 2D/3D transitions/overlays.

So the point is that it depends on how it is used or abused.

Last edited by rampant_a_i on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wherever you go... there you are.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

I don't mind CG being used in anime but it has to be used right. That said the same goes for shows made in CG. While it might be cheaper It is by no means easy to work with. If done right, it can be a wonderful piece of art, if not It will look like it's all over the place, and it will show. I just wish it wasn't relied upon heavily much like how Flash is used.
Last edited by Blackmagic4444 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Hmm...

If done correctly, CGI can add to a show and enhance the scene being depicted beyond what normal hand drawn animation can do. But if done badly, it just looks cheap and out of place, just like in certain live action movies.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Post by Midnight Crooh »

I don't mind CG more than I mind regular animation. In the end it's all about quality, and if the quality is good (CG or not) then I appreciate it, if the quality is bad (CG or not) then I don't. Not entirely getting why some people have this instant aversion to CG, regardless of quality. Yes, there are some janky-looking CG shows out there to be sure, but there's also stuff like Kado and Land of the Lustrous.

-Crooh
Tywil20
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Tywil20 »

If done right it's okay.but i know a manga I'd like to see get animated,and that is re:monster right joe.and no andrew im not new just been hibernating for a year or two.