AP 593 - Gateways for Others

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 593 - Gateways for Others

Post by VicMonado »

What modern anime would you use as a gateway for new comers to come in to the hobby? (Basically how do you indoctrinate the normies)

Submitted by Vailreth!
Shugo65
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Re: AP 593 - Gateways for Others

Post by Shugo65 »

Still one I usually recommend for newcomers is Cowboy Bebop. Though if they are kinda into robots and new to anime I'll recommend them Eureka Seven
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

Yes, I agree, Cowboy Bebop. It will draw a lot of first timers in with great characters and stories.
But there are a number of movies that will bring them in as well. Your Name is a great one. The Miyazaki movie’s (Studio Ghibli) are another.
Wherever you go... there you are.
Dryden999
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Dryden999 »

I would honestly still say Cowboy Bebop. It had a little bit of everything. The animation, story, voice acting ect. still holds up even after all this time. Of the newer Anime I've seen I'd say Dororo(I know its still running but still), Violet Evergarden, A place further than the universe. All have great animation, characters, plot, but are not too weird that they'd turn off someone trying to get into anime for the first time.
Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

If I were to introduce someone to anime, I would show them a movie or a short OVA first. I would stay away from long form TV shows only because it might be too much for an anime virgin to consume and appreciate; also anime movies and OVA's are better quality. Here are a few examples of what I would show to them:

Paprika - or anything by Satoshi Kon. He made some great movies
Akira - It's a classic and still holds up today
They Were Eleven - a great anime sci fi movie with a twist
Ghost In the Shell "the 1995 movie"
Your Name or 5 centimeter per second - any movie by Makoto Shinkai would be acceptable

What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Midnight Crooh
Fan
Fan

Post by Midnight Crooh »

Hmm, good question. Anime tends to have really out-there elements and plotlines, so you'd probably want to go for something a bit more grounded and down to earth. So not, say, Kill la Kill or Jojo. I actually got a normie friend into anime a while back and we started out with Black Lagoon. It's a crazy show, sure, but not much different from an over-the-top western action flick.I also managed to get my otherwise disinterested brother to watch some Mushishi.
I think the key is to not show them stuff that's super niche or super weird. Gotta ease them into the stuff. You catch more flies with honey than with Killing Bites.

-Crooh
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

If we're talking modern anime, I guess we have to talk about the genres/sub-genres that are popular today

Isekai

Re:Zero

Female-led action

Seairei no Moribito

Fantasy

Made in Abyss

Mecha

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

Shounen

My Hero Academia

Drama

91 Days