AP 598 - Tropes Versus Anime in Videogames

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 598 - Tropes Versus Anime in Videogames

Post by VicMonado »

Hey there, very special week with Ichigo here now, so on that note the question for this week is about tropes. Specifically what tropes in anime do you think haven't aged very well or just dislike I guess.

Oh by the way this from Xahldera
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Re: AP 598 - Tropes Versus Anime in Videogames

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

The old homeless/stranger meeting the protagonist. To the viewer we already see what's coming, we know you're about to give them powers or throw them into an alternate world. The trope is so played out now I'm surprised it's not made fun of.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
GhoulShinobi
Fan
Fan

Post by GhoulShinobi »

Does the "Laughed at when young and vows to over come everything and be the king (or hokage)" count? I just feel like ever since Naruto its been overused. P.S. HI ICHIGO!
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Hmm...Where to start?
  • The really old young looking girl who is actually several centuries old despite looking like a fraction of the age... :roll:
  • The character, especially the protagonist, who is obnoxiously stupid.
  • Or the protagonist who wants to be Completely ordinary and never go on any special adventures or have any super powers... :roll:
  • Or, on a related note, the other protagonist who wants to be normal who is just a normal school student...who somehow has everything happen to him! :P
  • Or, on yet another related note, the other possibly completely ordinary school student who may or may not want to be normal who ends up being trapped in a fantastical world that isn't his or her own, AKA "Yet Another Silly Isekai Anime" (Patent Pending courtesy of the Anime Pulse Discord collective) ;)
  • How about the angry Tsundere girl who "totally" hates that one male love interest and who insists on punching him so hard he reaches escape velocity and is propelled into space literally every time he just so happens to fall over and accidentally end up in some compromising position on top of her?
  • Then there is that one annoying laugh rich annoying ladies do, especially if they are the villain of the story. Can be funny sometimes, but overuse is bad.
  • The crazy psychotic bunny boiler type aka the Yandere. Sorry Joe, throwing that archetype under the bus. They actually are not fun in real life and in the Anime world where people can kill or be killed with impunity (and massive mecha), they are probably even less fun. Related to this, why is is all Yandere targets don't just kill the Yandere person first?! Problem solved and it would put off any other crazy suitor if you show you aren't fooling around any more and that you aren't a weak spineless protagonist! :P
I'm sure there are other tropes I feel are over used and annoying. I don't have issues with them when used the right amount and even annoying tropes can be funny at the right moment, but when a series gets too reliant on them, it gets wearing. Just remember though, tropes are not bad, but overloading on them can be.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

Some anime tropes I dislike:

The new guy in school falls into the hot girl's boobs, she goes off on him but they end up being in love at the end series.
Invisible parents - you all know this trope. Why is a 14 year old parents never at home in an anime?
The main protagonist(s) have infinite PLOT armor!!! It is annoying how the hero/heroine just manages to evade death so easily.
The mysterious "Transfer student" that has some kind of special ability. This has been done TOO death in anime its ridiculous.
Harem anime -- they are just not believable. There is no way 5 people are gonna fight over 1 guy/gal.

What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Dryden999
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Dryden999 »

Hmmmm probably protagonist bumps into a person that will 30 minutes later be introduced as the new transfer student from a mysterious school. And said transfer student will be told to take an empty seat that is usually A. Next to protagonist or B. Next to a window
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Forgot about the mysterious transfer student. Yes, I must second Dryden999 and Trinityangel0666's mention of that new student with a vague backstory who appears in the class and ends up having mysterious powers or abilities.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

I HATE that I know what inspired the title of this forum post.

ANYHOO

When I think tropes in anime, I think that I have probably never illicited any reaction from the "fall into boobs" trope. There are two variations to this trope

1. Falling on top of a girl and noticing that your hand has landed on something "soft"

2. Falling face first into oppai, getting a faceful of the good stuff

This trope is directly tied to the "Kono hentai!" trope, where a guy is either hit really hard or the girl screams after this unintentional moment of perversion.

I know this is the lifeblood of harems and sex comedies, but can we at least get some variation to this. Maybe some more fall into "clam" or maybe a dude gets stuck in a buttcheek.