VGP 335 Discussion Topic: Forgiving A Buggy Launch?

Discuss individual shows here
darkgodakito
Fan er er
Fan er er

VGP 335 Discussion Topic: Forgiving A Buggy Launch?

Post by darkgodakito »

With publishers pushing "Live Services" so heavily, can you forgive a buggy launch if the game improves over time? Let us know why or why not!

~Idea courtesy of Vail~
Algazero
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Re: VGP 335 Discussion Topic: Forgiving A Buggy Launch?

Post by Algazero »

Yes. No game is perfect at launch date these days nor were they in the past. We're in a great point in time where features, modes, and content can be added by the developer or by the fan community through mods. If there is an homest attempt at fixing the game, I'll gladly give it another shot. But if updates do little to fix or change the game for the better, as is the case for Fallout 76 and 7 Days to Die, I won't waste my time.
Searching for Silent Hill...
MyAnimeList
MyMangaList
Past affiliations as QC/Proofreader: Kaitou Fansubs - Blood Lad, Strike the Blood, Attack on Ti.tan OVA
For-the-Halibut/Let It Go Scans: Hataraku Maou-sama!, Adam in Puberty, Kamisama Drops, Sekirei
vailreth
Fan
Fan

Post by vailreth »

I agree that if Devs make an earnest effort to support the game after a bad launch i can forgive them. that said sometimes i want a feature complete product when i pay the money upfront, game devs who rush a poor product out the door and promise to Finish it in 6 months to a year do not deserve forgiveness. adding additional content to a feature complete game is one thing. releasing an incomplete game at full price and promising that it will be finished later is inexcusable. a Properly ran Early Access period has a cheaper entry price For A Reason. But in the modern gaming climate expecting a functional game from Some Publishers at the outset is unrealistic.
CosmicPsycho
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by CosmicPsycho »

On one hand, it's good to know that even a buggy game will eventually reach the developer's vision. On the other hand, if we keep allowing developers to release half finished games, then the day may come that they expect consumers to purchase an empty box with the promise of a game later.
Then there's the risk that a buggy game gets released, and doesn't sell well enough for the developers to even bother finishing it.
YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

I think bugs are just what we have to live with at this point. Especially if you are a multiplayer kinda gamer, you have to expect bugs and glitches to affect your game.

I think that I can't forgive a game if it's an utter trainwreck, like it's a mess that makes your game unplayable until the patch comes in. Otherwise, I'm tolerant of buggy games.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by xahldera »

Maybe??

It depends on how badly the launch went and if there is enough evidence to suggest the devs/publishers will release patches at some point to fix the problem. However, recent trends suggest that the publishers are more likely to just cut their losses and quietly discontinue the game or show some sort of "road map" charting promised fixes, but not necessarily make good on those promises in a timely manner. By the time a patch comes out, it might be too late and we have moved on to some other game.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

Nope. I am forgiving a buggy launch. The reason why is publishers are rushing devs to release games that are unfinished and this is happening way too much today. These money hungry publishers aren't giving devs time to put out a good game. Also buggy games kill the enjoyment for me. Most of the time I stop playing buggy games and when devs come back 3 to 6 months later with a patch; I've already moved on to a new game. In all honestly buggy and unfinished games cause devs to lose money and fans. A great example of this is Mass Effect Andromeda and Fallout 76. Both of these games were rushed and when they launched you could tell from their buggy gameplay.

What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

No. Because as it has been seen that patch culture has become a detriment to the way video games are made. The idea of "put it out and fix/finish it later" has cause many a game to fail, and worse take up space on consoles (remember Assassin's Creed: Unity took a 50GB patch to be fixed). Also as Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda has shown that if games come out buggy they lose fans and thus support later on.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
NeneRapp
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by NeneRapp »

I think a buggy launch can be forgiven if the company making the game can improve on it over time. Overly ambitious games are without a doubt going to come out with bugs and it just it what it is nowadays.

I will say though that in cases where the game is really buggy at launch, I'll wait until the game gets a bunch of updates and goes on sale before I grab it.

I got burned the worst when I grabbed a PS Vita with Borderlands 2 even with knowing the fps slow down issue before release. I had hopes that Iron Galaxy(the company porting the game with a not so bad track record) was going to improve on it as promised but after a dozen dumb crashes and constant slow downs, I gave it up. Kept the Vita but B2 had to go.