AP 669 - Anime Catastrophies

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 669 - Anime Catastrophies

Post by VicMonado »

What is your favourite world-altering catastrophe as the basis for an anime series?

Forum topic submitted by Rampant_a_i, so thanks for that.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 669 - Anime Catastrophies

Post by rampant_a_i »

I may have offered this suggestion for a forum topic, but I am myself hard put to determine a favorite, or three. So here's a few I will list:

3. While it is not an anime series, I have always had a special love for the world of the classic Ghibli movie Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. It is a post-apocalyptic world set a thousand years after the 'Seven Days of Fire', and has since reverted to feudal states where all must contend with lingering zones of toxic forests with giant insectoid megafauna. I mainly like the civilization's reliance on imaginative flying machines to travel between locations.

2. In discussing the topic, I humorously mentioned "Water World", the post-apocalyptic Hollywood flop form years ago. This brought to mind the scenario of Suisei no Gargantia (Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet), an anime that I like, because it does Water World far better, with a much more satisfactory setup and better story.

1. I have a revolving set of top favorites, which changes from time to time. At present the one scenario I still enjoy, being a fan of Urban Fantasy, is the world of Cop Craft, where the world is drastically altered culturally due to the discovery that the otherworld of fantasy exists, and Elves are real. Simple for the most part, but the subtle ways this affects what is essentially a cop procedual storyline I enjoy very much. I wish they'd make more of this series.
Wherever you go... there you are.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Re: AP 669 - Anime Catastrophies

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

I like usually like ones that are set after the end. Some sort of apocalypse happens, and we get to see how society adapts or is changed by it, something a kin to Desert Punk. I also like anime that tend to use the modern age as a setting, with some sort of different take on it. Like there might be magic or some kind of underworld happening hidden on the periphery or something they have to integrate to. Dance in the Vampire Bund was a good take on this. Lastly I love Sci-Fi settings of futuristic advancement. Maybe technology has taken over the lives of people or someone is using it to oppress them, like Psycho-Pass.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.