Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Haku's Gender
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Gender is Haku???
Girl
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Boy
79%
 79%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 58

Orochi

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Haku's Gender Reply with quote

Here's the deal. This is a debate about the ever-popular issue of Haku's true gender. If you have already made up your mind on the issue and refuse to listen to the other side, then don't bother reading because you probably won't be convinced anyway. This goes for those who think Haku is a girl as well. Also, no posts stating “Haku is a boy/girl get over it!” This is a topic meant for discussion. Quote and agree with peoples’ points if you want, but please, no short posts that simply state a belief with no reason why you hold that belief.

The debate is divided into two sides: The Geishaku and the Hakubuki, which are terms I made up myself. The Geishaku are the “Girl Haku” side and the term is derived from Geisha + Haku. The Hakubuki are the “Boy Haku” side and the term is derived from Haku + Kabuki. Clever, I know.

If you are the type that thinks they know everything about everything then I welcome you to discuss the issue calmly and respectfully, as I intend to do.
There is a brief reference to sexuality in this post, but it is by no means graphic or inappropriate. Still, if you are not comfortable with reading such content, then please do not read the topic.

Flaming is not necessary or wanted in this topic. This is not an issue to get so worked up about. I've seen people get worked up over a lot less. Believe it. By the way, I will also be referring to Haku as “she”, “her”, or as a “girl” in this topic unless persuaded otherwise. “Stop calling Haku a girl!” is not a persuasive point, so don’t try.

The basic outline of this topic's first post is that I will disprove the popular theory, or at least cast a considerable shadow of a doubt on it after I give a brief summary of the issue. Then I will state the evidence I have found to back up my claim of Haku being a girl and not a boy. Lastly, I will address any evidence contrary to my theory and explain any discrepancies.

The remainder of the topic is dedicated to counter points and discussion.

Quick reference (ctrl+f then search the following terms):

Why is there even an argument?

By the way

Same question, different meaning.

2. Haku

Haku was a girl

self loathing

Zabuza calls Haku a “kid”.

Haku’s Appearance

What is Zabuza’s take on all of this?

The Smoking Gun

Counter Evidence

In Conclusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is there even an argument?

The reason why most people think that Haku is a boy is because she is referred to as a boy by almost every character that is connected to her (be it through comradeship or through rivalry). The foremost reason however is because Haku refers to herself as a boy. While most fans simply accept this and move on, there is actually much more evidence to suggest the contrary is true.

Haku first appeared in the Naruto manga posing as a hunter-nin, a ninja that hunts down defecting ninja and kills them to protect the secrets of the village. Kakashi, the sensei of Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke, was the first to call Haku a boy. However, in the manga Kakashi had not even met Haku before this or so much as heard her name. He simply observed what was thought to be a hunter-nin. Haku was introduced with nothing but the intention to hunt down and kill Zabuza who was an assassin hired to kill a man that Kakashi and his students were assigned to protect.

In later chapters, Haku is shown to be Zabuza's comrade. Haku was merely acting like a hunter-nin in order to save Zabuza from being killed by Kakashi.

Kakashi then realizes that nothing about Haku seemed to be right. He recalls that a hunter-nin usually destroys the body of the rouge ninja they are hunting first and foremost. Haku on the other hand transported Zabuza's body away from where he "died". This leads Kakashi to believe that Zabuza was not truly dead but rather put in a state of temporary death. Kakashi then assumes that Haku is in league with Zabuza. Whatever the case, the payroll that wants Kakashi's client dead is likely to send other shinobi to do what Zabuza could not. Therefore he instructs his students to train their chakras in the woods.

In later chapters Naruto falls behind in training compared to Sakura and Sasuke who have either mastered the training or are close to doing so. Naruto asks Sakura what her secret is for the technique they are learning. Eventually, Naruto goes off to train on his own and ends up falling asleep in the woods.
Meanwhile, Haku is shown at Gatou's(the payroll) hideout, where Zabuza is recovering. Gatou confronts the bedridden Zabuza and chastises him for failing his mission. Gatou demands an answer from him and reaches for Zabuza's mouth cloths. Haku grabs Gatou's arm and breaks it while telling him not to touch Zabuza with his dirty hands. Zabuza was ready to kill Gatou, but Haku stepped in because killing Gatou would have given them no place to hide from the true hunter-nin that were trying to track Zabuza down.
Later on, Haku lets her hair down, changes out of her battle attire and hunter-nin mask and puts on a pink kimono. She then goes out into the woods to find medicinal herbs, where she happens to come upon the sleeping Naruto. Haku has the chance to kill Naruto but passes on the opportunity. Naruto awakes and he and Haku talk for a while. Haku asks why he wants to be strong, and Naruto answers that it is because he wants others to recognize him as a great ninja. Haku asks if he has anyone to protect, then says that having someone to protect makes one stronger. As Haku is leaving she says, “By the way, I’m a boy.” Naruto is surprised to hear this and introspectively admits that Haku is more beautiful than Sakura. From this point on Haku, when not called a kid, is always referred to as a “he” or “boy” by others in the present time.

Eventually, Haku and Naruto fight. When Haku’s mask breaks and falls off, the face of the kid in the forest is revealed to Naruto and he holds his attack. Haku then describes her childhood, among other things. In the manga Haku only talks about her father killing her mother, and her killing her own father. The anime goes into greater detail with a flashback. In this flashback Haku is young and looks much like a little girl. When Haku shows off her power to control water to her mother, the mother slaps Haku, calling her a “wicked child”. The father witnesses this and his next action was to kill his wife and child for carrying the bloodline trait. When it came to killing Haku however, the assassination failed as Haku’s power was released by accident, killing all who were there to kill her. Haku was reduced to that of a beggar child who lived on the streets. This is how Zabuza found Haku. He then took her under his wing in exchange for absolute loyalty.

Haku also reveals that the one most precious to her is Zabuza, since he is the one that gave her life meaning and purpose. Later, Haku sacrifices herself to keep Zabuza’s life from being taken by Kakashi’s attack. Naruto reveals Haku’s feelings for Zabuza, since Zabuza was not showing any remorse when Haku died or anger when Gatou disrespected Haku’s corpse. Eventually, Zabuza is fatally wounded and as he is about to die he requests to “see his face” in the manga and “be taken to him” in the anime, meaning Haku. Kakashi lays Zabuza next to Haku where Zabuza reveals his feelings for Haku in the anime only. The manga has him state that he will die by Haku’s side and that he wishes that he could go where Haku is.

Same question, different meaning.

So now that everyone is up to speed, we now find ourselves at the same question as before, except this time it means something else. Why is there even an argument? Meaning, aren’t all of the references to Haku being a boy undeniable proof that she is one? The answer is no, because this issue is not so cut and dry as you might think. First, let’s take a look at why people think Haku is a boy. The main, and perhaps only reason is because of the references to her being a boy. That is it. Haku looks nothing like a boy. In fact, Haku is described by the series to be more beautiful than Sakura, the series’ flagship heroine. Therefore, if we can prove that there is a possibility that those references are inaccurate, the theory will become less likely to be correct.

Before this however, we must ask ourselves what would prove one theory or the other to be correct.

1. Most obviously the sight of the physical traits of the respective gender on Haku while Haku is dead or unconscious. The last part is the most important, because remember that in this series there is a thing called a transformation jutsu. Naruto, who is obviously a male, can transform himself into a beautiful woman by using a certain jutsu. Therefore, even if an identifying body part were to be shown, it would prove nothing since it could be a jutsu either way. Haku would have to be incapacitated in some way. This is also the most unlikely occurrence since this is a series that is geared toward kids. Haku is also dead and buried. So any character development for Haku has probably already happened. (Though I have heard of a slight reference to Haku in later episodes tied in with a character named Kimimaro. It is also possible that Haku’s story will be told through retroactive continuity.)

2. Haku showing sexual attraction toward someone. Simply put: If Haku shows sexual attraction to females, then Haku is a boy. If Haku shows sexual attraction to males, then Haku is a girl. Of course this only works on the basis that Haku is heterosexual, but again, this is a series that is geared toward younger audiences. So Haku being homosexual is very unlikely, especially since Haku is about 15 years old in the series.

3. Reference to gender by characters outside of Haku’s present role. For example, Haku’s flashback in the anime presents Haku’s mother. If the mother were to call Haku a girl, then that would settle that. The same may not be true for the alternative reference of “boy” since it is a flashback being told by one who uses “boy” for self-reference. It would depend on how the flashback is portrayed. If it comes from Haku’s point of view and is told to someone else, then it could be altered in that way to support Haku’s present day role of being a boy. If the flashback were actually the past being told by the series itself or through narrative style (retcon), then any reference would be canon and correct. Also, if Haku were to remember the reference through introspection and not through revealing it to anyone, then any reference would be canon and correct.
Unfortunately, the flashback features the mother calling Haku a “child” and not identifying her as either boy or girl. Future episodes or issues may contain flashbacks such as these.

4. Clear statements by the writer(s) of the series. Obviously they are the ones to listen to if you want to know something about a series.

Now, I have found at least one of these that prove Haku was most definitely a girl, but like I said, I will first disprove the popular theory.

If Haku was a girl, why did “she” call “her”self a boy?

A few explanations exist for this fact and most work together as one theory. The first and most likely is that she does this to conceal her identity and protect herself from being easily tracked down by the true hunter-nin. This way, the target known as Haku is a boy that dresses like a girl, rather than a girl that dresses like a girl, or perhaps the description is not that detailed. Perhaps they are hunting for Zabuza and a boy, period. This means that while Haku is without the mask, she is less suspicious because she truly does look like a girl. Suppose that Zabuza and Haku did not die on the bridge but instead escaped from Kakashi and the students. What would they have told any hunter-nin that stopped to question them? Exactly what they thought, which was that Haku was a boy dressed as a girl.

To support this theory, we must remember one of Haku’s codes of life. Deception. Deceiving the enemy is how Haku was introduced. Therefore, isn’t it likely that calling herself a boy is just another deception? Think about this. Haku called herself a hunter-nin, or at least suggested it, but did that automatically make her one? No. So it is logical to conclude that saying she is something and truly being it can be two different things. Of course this does not prove that Haku was lying about her true gender, but it does question her motives.

Now lets look at this from the other perspective. Let us assume in this paragraph that Haku is a boy. He dresses like a girl to throw of the hunter-nin and likely any opponent as well. Why then would Haku reveal to the opponents that he is a boy and not a girl? What reason could there be for this? Anyone who hears this can report to the hunter-nin that Haku is a boy that looks and dresses like a girl. Haku’s cover is blown. A person like this is also know as a kabuki actor, and such a person would be easier to track down. So now I hope you are getting a better idea of where the Geishaku (Girl Haku theorists) are coming from.

Another explanation for Haku calling herself a boy is one I do not particularly agree with, but it is worth mentioning. The theory is that Haku does not want anyone hitting on her, especially boys. An example of this would be Naruto, who thought Haku was a pretty girl at first. Another would be Sakura, who under the impression that Haku is a boy calls Haku a freak. I don’t buy it because it is mere speculation with no evidence to support it. In fact, it borders outright denial of the popular theory without justification. It also does not disprove the other side in any way, since it is also just as possible that Haku is a boy trying to prevent girls from flirting with him for… whatever reason. You get my point I’m sure.

This is why I believe in a much more realistic theory that coincides with the first theory of Haku hiding her true gender. The theory does work under the speculation that Haku does not want boys to hit on her, but this is because she has eyes for only one man, namely Zabuza. Therefore the self-reference of being a boy is not based on relationships with strangers as the rejected theory suggests. Instead this is based on her relationship with Zabuza. You may be asking how Haku’s pretending to be a boy actually helps her relationship with Zabuza. This is actually very simple, and such a concept does indeed help their relationship. The following is an image from the Naruto manga.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2481/haku1xw7.jpg

Now aside from the images of a person who looks very much like a girl, this image depicts Zabuza stating that what he really needs is not consolation or encouragement but rather a weapon or a tool, as Haku interrupts and suggests in another strip. Therefore, Haku thinking of herself as Zabuza’s female companion would be less productive than thinking of herself as a tool. To do this, referring to her as a male could actually be a way of eliminating the sexual tension between them. In this way Haku is changing in order to please Zabuza and make him more comfortable, which is her primary goal after joining up with him. It is also worth mentioning that the role of a geisha is to please the male and serve him.

Along with this theory I also submit the concept of self loathing. This means that Haku resents her female gender to a certain extent. To prove this, I submit the following image.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8897/haku5vz9.jpg

In this strip, Haku is telling Naruto about her childhood. When the bloodline trait was discovered within Haku it made her an outcast. She was feared and hated for her bloodline trait. Zabuza took her in and gave her life purpose, hence the sentimental statement “I was so happy!!” in the last image.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9483/haku6wn8.jpg

Haku definitely had feelings for Zabuza because he desired what everyone else rejected her for.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1476/haku2xe3.jpg

Having been beaten by Naruto, Haku requested death when she discovered that she had not become a tool that could protect Zabuza. After that purpose was taken away, Haku stood ready to accept death, knowing that Zabuza only used her for that purpose.

Now the thing to notice here is that in these instances, Haku stops referring to herself as a boy. Instead she refers to herself as a person. This may seem like speculation, but I interpret this as Haku reverting back to the truth. There is simply no reason to refer to her past self as a “person” when the one being told the story is already under the impression that this person is a boy. I think this is where Haku is going back to being her true self. Why? It is because her present role has been taken away. She has been forced back into the state that she was in before meeting Zabuza, which was seen as worthless AND human.
I strongly believe this because this is identical to the way Haku’s mask falls off. I think it is somewhat symbolic of that. Naruto destroyed the mask and now the façade of being a boy crumbles to reveal the true self, simultaneously the weapon is broken and now all that is left is the “unwanted PERSON”. Remember, Haku is facing death at this point. So facing the truth about her could in fact be her way of coping with her approaching death, which again leads back to the point of self-loathing.

Another point to bring up is that Haku does not refer to herself as a boy to Zabuza. She calls herself his weapon and she also calls herself a kid in the manga.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3128/haku4ug6.png

So there is one reference to being a boy down, and two to go. The second set of references belongs to Kakashi. As I mentioned earlier, Kakashi calls Haku a boy before he even hears her name. The Hakubukies could argue that Kakashi is a credible source or judge of character because of his experience and sharingan. However, to claim such a thing would be false. First of all, there is no evidence that the sharingan reveals another person’s gender, despite evidence that it allows one to manipulate another’s mind. Second, Kakashi made the mistake of assuming that Haku was a hunter-nin when she was not. Moreover, Kakashi fails to recognize Orochimaru at the Chunin exams later in the series. Therefore, Kakashi is not a credible source. His first impression of Haku could have been nothing but a common assumption that was perhaps based on factors that may have also been meant to deceive opponents.

The third set of references is from Zabuza. Notice in the flashback, as depicted above, Zabuza calls Haku a “kid”. Again, the source of this flashback is Haku, so Zabuza may have said girl. Suggesting that he did is just baseless speculation, so I will not do so. However, he did not call Haku a boy, since if he did then Haku would have no reason to change what he said. All other references to Haku being a boy could easily be dismissed as Zabuza encouraging the misguided belief that Haku was a boy, which is the belief that everyone else in the series held. When it comes down to Zabuza and Haku alone, Zabuza does not refer to Haku as a boy. The absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence, but the fact that Haku is not called a boy by Zabuza may suggest that acting as a boy is just that, an act. After being saved by Haku, Zabuza asks, “How long are you going to wear that stupid mask”. When Haku removes the mask they speak casually as friends might.
As for the numerous references by the kids, they can all be outright dismissed as conclusions drawn from Haku’s deception.

Haku’s Appearance

Some try to argue that Haku is a boy with feminine features but because the suggestion does not make any sense, the example of Haku meeting Naruto in the woods is brought up. When Haku bends forward to check on Naruto, some say that cleavage cannot be seen. Well, it probably can’t be seen because none is shown. Even if Haku’s chest is shown and cleavage is not visible it does not mean that she is a boy. Remember that the absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence. By the same token, I cannot say that Haku is a girl just because she has no Adam’s apple.
To the best of my recollection, Haku’s chest was never shown. The American version might be edited so I do not know the truth for sure. However, even if what the Hakubukies say is true, it does not mean that Haku is a boy. First of all, she might have small breasts. Second, she may have her chest wrapped in bandages to act as a bra. Anyway, it is a lame argument, but it leads us into the other appearances. This is perhaps the second strongest argument for the Geishaku, and this is because Haku looks a lot like a girl. How much like a girl? Well, besides the facial features, which reflect the same art style used to draw girl characters, Haku also has long hair, painted finger and toenails, girl clothing, and platform sandals. Granted, it does not take a girl to dress like a girl and any boy could do the same thing, but why would a boy want to do that? Like before, if Haku were a boy and went through all the trouble to look like a girl, why outright state that “he” is really a boy? Also, why would a person like Zabuza let a boy that dresses as a girl tag along with him? Of course it would still be for the bloodline trait, but I mean why wouldn’t Zabuza order the boy to dress like one? Yes, in the looks department, Haku is most definitely a girl. The issue with Zabuza leads us into the next point.

What is Zabuza’s take on all of this?

Another theory of the Geishaku is that Zabuza calls Haku a boy because he is embarrassed about his partner being female. If you ever see someone use this as an excuse, tie that person to a post and tell everyone else not to feed that person lunch. How is it any less embarrassing that your partner is a transvestite?
Anyway, my above theory on this is much better. To offer another one along these same lines, I think that Zabuza calls Haku a boy because that is what she was trained as. Haku was taught and raised as a male shinobi by Zabuza. In combination with the “no sexual tension” theory above, Zabuza probably felt better about himself for not going easy on Haku during training. In other words, he treated her as someone who could take more than the average kunoichi (girl ninja). Another good theory is that some ninja may overestimate a kunoichi’s abilities since they assume their chakra makes up for their lack of physical strength. Perhaps seeing what is thought to be a boy dressed like a girl makes some opponents take Haku as a joke, just as Gatou’s bodyguards did. Then there is the theory that it is all to protect Haku’s identity, which I mentioned earlier.

Now, in the end of the Land of Waves saga Zabuza dies next to Haku but not before revealing some feelings that some could consider feelings one would only have for someone they loved. Now of course love is not bound to mates or spouses, and Zabuza may have seen Haku as his own child, but the way the scene is portrayed in the anime strongly suggests that there was more between the two besides ownership and servitude. The manga goes even further when Naruto reveals Haku’s feelings to Zabuza, or at least what he gathered from his conversation with Haku.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2751/haku3aw5.png

Judging by Haku’s expressions and tear shedding in the strips before that, this love that Naruto spoke of was much deeper than that felt for a big brother or father. Haku believed in Zabuza and making his dream come true. That is the kind of dedication and admiration that you would only see from a wife figure or a mate.

I mentioned before that I found evidence that proves Haku is a girl earlier. The last paragraph leads me to The Smoking Gun.

The Smoking Senbon

By the way, senbon is what Haku used as weapons, which is why I got creative just now. Anyway, the evidence I found falls under number two of my above list. Haku shows sexual attraction to a certain MALE, which means the opposite sex of that would be female! Haku was a GIRL, not a boy!

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5204/hakusgyq7.png

This is from the manga, and this follows the strip of Zabuza being saved from the battle with Kakashi. Zabuza asks why Haku did not simply throw the needles into less vital areas of the body that would have produced the same temporary death state. Haku replies by saying that she did not want to scar his beautiful body, and she does this while blushing. This is quite obviously the final nail in the Hakubuki theory’s coffin.

I suppose you could still argue that Haku is a boy, but not without also arguing that “he”, and Zabuza by default are gay. So I guess it comes down to the choice between thinking that a cartoon geared toward kids has gay characters or normal characters. I personally like to think that Zabuza and Haku were better than that, as were the writers, but hey, that’s just me. Believe it!
Just in case I have to address this, I will get it over with. The rest of this paragraph is here to disprove that theory, so if you do not hold the theory then feel free to skip ahead. Now then, even the gay Haku Boy theory is flawed. This is because it does not make sense in the context of the series. Assuming that Haku was a boy, obviously he dressed as a girl because he was “gay” in this theory, and this was done so that he could be Zabuza’s life partner. However, while many in the Japanese culture did see this as a noble pursuit in days long past, there were also many who disapproved of it strongly. Now, wouldn’t it make more sense for Haku to pose as or “become” a woman with only he and Zabuza knowing the truth? It would, because even in cultures where homosexuality is accepted the two people choose their designations of being the male or female regardless of their gender. This is known as their futile attempt at normalcy in a lifestyle that is anything but normal. In other words, the roles are assumed because it does not seem as wrong to them, and certainly not to others who are none the wiser. Well, outright stating that you are a boy makes others wiser to the lifestyle, which would only welcome ridicule. Now, could Zabuza really afford to have such a reputation in the world when his main goal was to earn enough of other peoples’ money to fund an uprising? A more logical theory would have the boy Haku pose as and claim to be a girl in order to protect the relationship as well as Zabuza’s character. So, all in all, the Hakubuki theory is not logical in any aspect, at least not as far as I can tell.

Counter Evidence

Yes, it does exist. Here is some counter evidence I found whilst researching the issue. Some is from other people and some is from me.

Haku is shown wearing “boy cloths” in the flashback.
OK, so you’ll dismiss makeup and girl clothes as evidence against your theory but use boy clothes as evidence in support of it? Also, what makes girls incapable of wearing boy clothes? Can those even be considered boy cloths? Nuff said.

Haku’s mother refers to Haku as a bad boy.
Completely false. This might be good supporting evidence if it existed, but Haku’s mother calls her a “wicked child” in the anime, not a boy. In the manga Haku’s mother has no lines at all. In fact, the entire memory of Haku being caught manipulating water and then killing her father is not even in the manga.

The writer of Naruto said in an interview that Haku and Zabuza were his first attempt at a gay couple.
I have heard this claimed but never supported by the actual interview. I even searched the net for interviews with that writer as well as interviews containing that specific text. The ones I found did not even mention Haku or Zabuza. On top of that, the claim itself does not prove that Haku and Zabuza were a gay couple. An attempt does not always end in success. Haku could still be girl posing as a guy and that would still be an attempt at creating a gay couple. Again, I must reiterate that this claim is not supported by an interview.

Haku’s voice is too deep to be a girl.
Haku’s voiceover artists are female. Also, Haku is likely talking in a deep voice because Zabuza has a deep voice, and he is what Haku would emulate having spent nearly a decade with him. This raises a good point though. If Haku was a boy and Zabuza was “his” role model, then obviously Haku would emulate him and be more masculine. The fact that Haku is feminine suggests that acting and being masculine is impossible for her based on physiological reasons.

Haku doesn’t look that much like a girl.
Maybe not to some, but that could be a case of a girl trying to look more masculine rather than a boy looking feminine. To me, Haku looks just like a girl, and even more so in the manga. The artists even go as far to make the lips more colored and the eyelashes more accentuated. In fact, there are females in the series that look more like guys than Haku supposedly does. Shizune has short black hair and plain features, yet she is not mistaken for being a boy. Granted she has other features that define her gender, but from an art perspective she is drawn out to be one of the show’s more butch females. Temari also qualifies in certain cases. She is obviously pretty in most cases, but in certain battles she can have a very mean look on her face. In those cases, if it weren’t for the long hair she would look just like a boy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Shizune001.jpg/200px-Shizune001.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Temari001.jpg/200px-Temari001.jpg

Haku is described as a male in the official Naruto Trading Card Game.
This is some counter evidence that I found, as you may have noticed. This is actually good evidence, but it can be explained. I studied the Naruto TCG rulebook, and while each ninja card has the gender listed, this falls under the category of “Characteristics”. Now since Haku is said to be male and believed to be male by others in the series, it is logical to simply list Haku as male in the game, which features a battle style type of gameplay. Also, Haku’s fighting style could be seen as a male’s since it is so intense and brutal. So the cards may not be saying that Haku is male as much as it is saying that she fights like one and is seen as one. This also goes for character descriptions in the manga.

But she is called a boy by everyone!
Everyone but those who matter. Even when those close to her call her a boy it is always in a time when she could be and likely is putting on yet another ruse. I do not think that we should just assume that Haku is a boy just because Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke think she is one. Remember, Orochimaru killed a girl at the Chunin exams and assumed her identity. He even sounded like her and everything. The three also called the disguised Orochimaru a woman a few times. Does that make Orochimaru a woman just because they first thought he was one? No. So it shouldn’t apply to Haku either.

In Conclusion

In my opinion, Haku was a girl because she looked, sounded, and acted like one. She loved Zabuza and I think he also returned those feelings. That makes her female, and if that character is not a female then I don’t know what is as far as anime goes.

I encourage friendly discussion in this topic and I leave the rest of it open for that. However, I also hope that my topic did not cover every issue, so that we may have something to discuss. I look forward to reading all of your posts!!!
phalon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions for you
1. how many animes besides naruto have you watched.
2. what do you know of japanese culture.

My opinion here that shoots down some of your evidence. There are people, I think their called beshonen which is pretty boy. Basically they are beautiful and somewhat woman like but still boys. Also some boys do sound like girls.

And the thing about Haku loving zabuza, there is more kinds of love than sexual, which you are refering to. Haku loved zabuza because zabuza gave him the will to live, and a purpose in life, and this is a common kind of love seen in other animes. And my final point in the "loving" thing is , do you love your family? if you suggest that haku loved zabuza more than someone would a family member, think of the realationship as a very deep idolization.

-damn you type alot.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I typed this up I had watched a lot more anime but I think you have a point. But i am still not sure whether to believe it is a boy. You hold a very good arguement and it definitely pushed me back up on top of the fence. Well i think you are the first person to bring that up. *Scratches back of head* I fell like an idiot now.
Dio Brando
Warnings : 2

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you think he was hot and then found out it was a guy?

Denial can cloud your vision, you know. In the end, he's what you call a TRAP.

He is a boy, and that is the end of discussion because we never see his genitalia anyway. The mangaka is always right.
Orochi

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no i didnt think he/she was hot. But im still on the fence soo....
Kariya

Total N00B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for this but......... LOLROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lunatic_raveV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...are you the one who typed a topic exactly like this and just as long on narutofan.com? Suspiciously familiar....

Inspired debate is good, but I gotta stand by Haku as a boy.

Why?

Because the manga implies/states he is. That being said we only have Haku's word to go on it, but even his facial appearance is more boyish than girl. And I think Kishimoto would have revealed Haku was a girl before the end if he was.

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Haku even says in the manga/anime to naruto when they meet in the forest that he is a boy and Naruto is totally shocked. There really isn't much debate here. Yes, Haku puts a new level onto the effeminate guy, but he even says himself that he is a guy. So, I suggest that we all 'take it from the horse's mouth' and just believe what Haku said in the forest. Also, Haku seems to develop something of a kinship with Naruto so there would really be no reason to believe he would lie to him. Even if he would, that would be a stupid thing to lie about.

Anywho, My stance is that Haku is a boy as clearly stated in the anime/manga.

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a quick google on this, and I see the parent post was from another forum.

Haku is a boy, and though I think the definition is slightly stretched, he does qualify as a Bishonen. However, as Lunatic_RaveV and Kenpachi point out, there was a line where Haku does say he's a boy. Now what if that line wasn't ever said? Perhaps you'd have an argument.
>.> Inconspicuous &

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Haku is a boy, an effeminate boy, but a boy none the less -.-
malik_chan

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_O Yeah ...

Haku is a boy. There is no "debating" about what's already known as a fact. What is the point of this topic, again? As much as you might like him to be a girl {some of you, maybe? >_>;;;;} He's not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zoneykid

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know haku is a boy and i havent even read the manga(but i did watch the anime)

even wikipedia states he's a boy

"Haku has a heavily androgynous appearance, leading to confusion about his gender both within and outside the show. Naruto Uzumaki in particular notes Haku's feminine appearance, claiming that he's even cuter than Sakura Haruno after Haku reveals he is actually male"
Digon25

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* HAKU SAID THAT HE WAS A GUY *cough* as I said look it up in the show... and dont says HE is a GIRL...(thats just wrong)
magicnarutofan

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is guy and he's gay how hared is it to figer out
KimmehWolfwood

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmmm... Yes. Most definitely a guy. (I'm pretty sure he said it in both the manga and the anime...)

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Magic, We have evidence that Haku is/was a guy, but no evidence that he is/was gay. I mean I think I know where your coming from with his idolization of Zabuza, but there are many kinds of affection and a guy can have affections for another guy without being gay. I personally Idolize Jeff Nimoy, but I'm not gay. <---evidence to the point

P.S. everyone else, sorry if this sounds over kill but I have little tolerance for people who throw around the word gay. "He's gay" "Thats gay" stuff like that irritates me.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: he is gay Reply with quote

Zaraki from what i can get out of itit is a really strong love makeing him gay. it is is not hare to think about.
phalon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicnarutofan wrote:
Zaraki from what i can get out of itit is a really strong love makeing him gay. it is is not hare to think about.

He is not gay, a man can love another without being gay. There was nothing sexual about the relationship.
For example, is loving your father gay? Yes zabuza isn't haku's father, but someone doesn't have to be a biological father to loved as such.

anyway lets move to another topic that doesn't have something to do with haku being gay, it could get offensive and this thread could be locked.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is a vary sexual love.
ZarakiKenpachi88

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, magic, there is no friggin' evidence to that, if you actually paid attention to the manga/anime you would know that Zabuza picked up Haku when he was just a little kid so Haku grew up with him. Zabuza is like a parental figure for him seeing as he never had any. He is not gay, he sees Zabuza as a parent kinda like what phalon said. I would think that if you had the gall to make your profile image the Kyuubi that you would know something about Naruto. Please, if you are going to be ignorant, please just do so somewhere outside of the forums because quite frankly it irriates me and if you don't stop you will officially make my s**tlist, people who make that list aren't happy people. And on that note I have one more thing to say, We settled the original arguement for this thread, so why is Haku still being debated?

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't even know why this is an issue?

wikipedia wrote:

Haku has a heavily androgynous appearance, leading to confusion about his gender both within and outside the show. Naruto Uzumaki in particular notes Haku's feminine appearance, claiming that he's even cuter than Sakura Haruno after Haku reveals he is actually male.

EDIT! er... looks like zonkykid already pointed that out. anyways, i agree. he's a guy.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

ok good pont i give up
MrVisor

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haku is a dood
ZarakiKenpachi88

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVisor wrote:
haku is a dood

......a "dood"? you mean a dude?

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as everyone tha has paid attention during the show has said he is a guy, an even out right SAYS he is a guy. if u need more evidence watch the freaking manga
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Naruto All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: