Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Angel Beats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Angel Beats Reply with quote

This was a series I dropped after skipping through the first episode. I didn't think about going back to it until a friend told me it was awesome. I figured I'd give it another try. My first impressions were wrong.

I have come to enjoy this series. There's plenty of Gag comedy in this series, but there is also some seriousness. Personally, I'd like a little less gag and a little more seriousness out of the series, but otherwise its excellent.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Toya
98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching this after hearing the review in one of the last AP episodes and loved it. The first episode doesn't really give a good indicator on the rest of hte series but once you get through the first 3 I think many would find it to be a great comedy.

I do disagree with you though about the gags....I think the serious-to-gag ratio is actually just right. You start getting into the action, things are getting serious, and then BAM! Rocket-desk!

I think this is going to be one of those series that I watch several times over.
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This anime sounded interesting to me when Ichigo first previewed it, so I've been watching it since the first episode first came out. Right now the ratio that is being talked about is just about right. I do feel that the story is heading more towards the serious side. By the end there probably won't be very much humor, but I'm fine with that.

"You think you die and everything's sugar and rainbows?"
-Sazh (FFXIII)
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching episode 9, I can say this is what I wanted out of the series, and it looks like it'll be turning that way for the remaining episodes, hopefully.

blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there really an angel and/or god in this Purgatory?

-Sazh (FFXIII)
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackluster2008 wrote:
So is there really an angel and/or god in this Purgatory?

Well, as of the latest episode, we learn that this area is a place for souls of kids who died young with regrets. It's a place meant to help them live their lives and become happy, before moving on. Purgatory wouldn't be the right word, as it is less Judeo-Christian, and more Buddhist views.

98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is an interesting turn, and I think it makes for a good story, but I'm a bit disappointed. I was enjoying this series as a slapstick comedy with supernatural elements and very little depth.

I think it's silly to try adding depth and seriousness to a series like this in one of the last few episodes. Either make the series a slapstick through and through, or give it the serious elements from episode 1. Adding a serious arc at the end only serves to corrupt the existing interpretation we have of the series.

I only hope that they can integrate the new arc without sacrificing too much of the goofy wackiness that made the series enjoyable.
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

98cafe wrote:
Well, it is an interesting turn, and I think it makes for a good story, but I'm a bit disappointed. I was enjoying this series as a slapstick comedy with supernatural elements and very little depth.

I think it's silly to try adding depth and seriousness to a series like this in one of the last few episodes. Either make the series a slapstick through and through, or give it the serious elements from episode 1. Adding a serious arc at the end only serves to corrupt the existing interpretation we have of the series.

I only hope that they can integrate the new arc without sacrificing too much of the goofy wackiness that made the series enjoyable.

I personally felt the seriousness of everything throughout the series. I believe the slapstick was there to help us with learning, knowing, and loving the different characters. Now that we've got everyone down, its time to amp up the seriousness to end off the series.

98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The series definately has a good underlying story, and this new arc really helps that underlying story along. I do like the ideas behind what the main character and Angel are working towards, I just don't want them to sacrifice the wackiness (which endeared the series to me) in order to achieve that goal.

I guess I just don't like it when an anime makes a sharp turn, sort of like Shuffle did, fun and light and then it went angsty and emo at the end.

Hopefully they'll pull it off with a satisfying integration between the wackiness and the serious side of the story.
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we'll get at least one more episode that's aimed more toward the comedic side. It may only be a side story after the main story is over, but that's fine. I'm also sure that the personalities of the characters (Especially Hinata) will definitely keep the mood from getting too angsty and dark.

-Sazh (FFXIII)
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the darkness seems to eat peoples souls, turning them into NPCs.
Yuri knew of Otonashi's plan to help everyone move on, and allows the battlefront to decide if they want Otonashi to help.
Yuri effectively disbands the battlefront, in the crisis of the shadow.
KANADE HAS WINGS Very Happy

98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see how they end things. I still stubbornly maintain my disappointment at the reduction of wackiness in the series though.

One thing that kind of bothers me though is Otonoshi's surprise at the revelation that Kanade is not an angel. I am pretty sure that in an earlier episode he had made that realisation.

But of course, the biggest question that comes to my mind from this episode is: What was Kanade's life like, and what will it take to let her find peace?

I'm also wondering if this really is purgatory, or if they are all still alive in a comatose state and hooked into some sort of computer, sort of like The Matrix...
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98cafe wrote:
Can't wait to see how they end things. I still stubbornly maintain my disappointment at the reduction of wackiness in the series though.

One thing that kind of bothers me though is Otonoshi's surprise at the revelation that Kanade is not an angel. I am pretty sure that in an earlier episode he had made that realisation.

But of course, the biggest question that comes to my mind from this episode is: What was Kanade's life like, and what will it take to let her find peace?

I'm also wondering if this really is purgatory, or if they are all still alive in a comatose state and hooked into some sort of computer, sort of like The Matrix...

You might be right given the montage at the end of episode 10 with Yui and Hinata.

-Sazh (FFXIII)
98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just finished the last episode, and I've got to say that I was let down at the end. Don't get me wrong, it was cute, but I really hate it when a series changes so drastically from the early episodes. It started out as fun wackiness and ended with cute fluffy seriousness.

Good series all in all, and I'd watch it again and even recommend it to others, but I am a bit sad that it transformed so much from the series that hooked me in at the beginning.
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish we would have learned more specifics about the world they were in. They left it up to speculation right up to the end when we find out that Otonashi really is dead. And what is up with the ending scene after the credits?

-Sazh (FFXIII)
Deafmute42

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackluster2008 wrote:
And what is up with the ending scene after the credits?

Total Kannazuki no Miko moment.
98cafe

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what is up with the ending scene after the credits?

It's almost like they finished the series and then reallized how poorly the series ended, and wanted to kind of give it a more positive beat at the end....even if it didn't make sense.

This is going to be one of those series where I wish someone would take it, do it right, and then re-release it. Smilie_PDT
CrimsonScarletDemon

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to love the series it's a real tear jerker by the end. I wonder if he ever passed on think about Kanade. I have an SSS badge Very Happy
Rebels Agenst The God[/b]
"I'm the Stygian of The Underworld! How will you filthy humans match me with all your pointless destruction?! Your fear and hate only fuel me for the Apacolpse thats is about to come to your wreched world!"

-Mizore Shirayuki-
http://img15.abload.de/img/mizore8dte.gif
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/el-takero/firmas%20y%20userbars/usbmizore2ls8.gif
http://nxcache.nexon.net/dungeonfighter/winter-festival/img/gunner-tit4.gif
Contra

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Beats is spectacular.

Characters are the most important part of any story, they are the most difficult to craft, and the easiest to get completely wrong. Angel Beats doesn't just manage this with a single protagonist, but a group of no less than seven. Angel beats did something that is exceedingly rare for me, it made me care about the characters. The humor is - of course - a huge selling point, but it's overshadowed by the deep characterization.

I could keep heaping praise on Angel Beats for pages: How it challenges the medium of anime to go further and higher, instead of wallowing in cheap laughs, fanservice, and generic plug-and-play plots. Or how its opering and closing themes are the most touching (and appropriate, given the opening's name) things I've heard in years. But honestly, a show as rare as this can be only described one way.

Spectacular.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
ChenvenStaSa

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man i reckon the ending was so sad! It's one of those things you see would happen one way or another but you watch in hope that something would happen to change that! I was devo for quite a while after the end haha Razz but I think the very last bit (as someone already mentioned) was kinda like a cushion for the ending haha, makes you wonder really....

Great series overall! If it wasn't for the review by AP and some of the comments here, I probably wouldn't have picked this series up but i'm glad i did!! Thx guys!
phalon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrimsonScarletDemon wrote:
I came to love the series it's a real tear jerker by the end. I wonder if he ever passed on

They show him passing on at the end, its symbolized by people fading in the end credits.

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this was truly a great show. One of my favorites of the year.
blackluster2008

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new episode that was exclusive to the blu-rays as well as an alternate/extended/added part (Don't really know where to place it) epiloge that shows Otonashi smacking some scene into a new arrival after all of the events of the series. The new episode is just more random funniness that the early part of the show was all about.

All in all they were good. Go check them out from your preferred source (I like Mazui subs).

-Sazh (FFXIII)
Zeukran

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackluster2008 wrote:
There is a new episode that was exclusive to the blu-rays as well as an alternate/extended/added part (Don't really know where to place it) epiloge that shows Otonashi smacking some scene into a new arrival after all of the events of the series. The new episode is just more random funniness that the early part of the show was all about.

All in all they were good. Go check them out from your preferred source (I like Mazui subs).

Yep, there is a new OVA about one of Yurippe's genius plans against Tenshi, as well as an extended Epilogue that takes place after episode 13.

wendigopsychosis

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like several people above me, I started watching after IChigo previewed it and I do have to agree, the first episode is not a good indicator of the rest of the series. I watched the whole series in one day and loved it all the way through. My favorite part was probably when the rocket desks were going off and Brave Song was playing in the background
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: