Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Episode 268 Question Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Anime Pulse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo

God of Anime

God of Anime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Episode 268 Question Discussion Thread Reply with quote

What's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Thanks,

Ichigo

グレンラガン! スピンオン! 俺を誰だっと思ってる
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mao Tenshi

Busho

Location: Shibuya Terminal, Tokyo-To, on the planet you people call Jupiter (It's actually called Azmalrish).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to a genshiken every month and we watch all kinds of stuff. I think the oldest I've seen there was Galaxy train 999 ( or was it 666? can't remember). That or it was PatLabor. My friend would have let me watch Akira, but my VCR was Broken.

So which ever came out first ( Galaxy Train or PatLabor) was the oldest I've watched.

Whoever said you can't have too many weapons is a genius! Oh wait...that was me.

You know, I've seen a lot of things. But a 10 ton behemoth of metal, powered by a race of beings made of pure energy that are completely genocidal to all other things in the universe was never one of them. Now I can say that, I have in fact, seen it all.
Kovaelin

Transfer Student

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about 'oldest', but one of the first that I watched was a series that told lessons/stories/fables. Each episode was 'hosted' by this professor (who was a panda wearing a suit) and his young student, an immature fat pink robot named "Why-Why" (?). The stories that were told by the professor were typically historic in setting. I'm not sure what the actual name of this show was, but it was available in Cantonese (at least). If anyone finds the title, please feel free to share it.

Great podcast as always. I love the news and reviews. I'm glad to hear that Chrono Crusade is going to be on SyFy (even though, I'm in Canada). I've only ever watched the English version, but I really liked it (especially how they used the old slang). I also read something interesting about how the people who voiced Rosette and Chrono were losing their voices.

I look forward to your next show. Take care.
RedUnit10

Endless Sorcerer

Endless Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest anime that I have ever watched would be Mobile Suit Gundam (also know as First Gundam, Gundam 0079 or simply Gundam 79)

Mobile Suit Gundam was released on April 7, 1979.

Man from Gallifrey

Man from Gallifrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like RedUnit, mine is Mobile Suit Gundam, although in my case it was the first condensed movie version.
SaitoHajime101

Menos Grande

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the above two posters, however I haven't seen all of Mobile Suit Gundam. A couple episodes here and there but I've been too lazy to actually sit and watch it through.

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no one else watched Gigantor/Tetsujin-28go?(1956 for those of you keeping score at home)

Now I feel old.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
Menos

Daimyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest anime I have watched is the 1958 movie The Tale of the White Serpent. It was the first ever color anime feature film.
SaitoHajime101

Menos Grande

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra wrote:
What, no one else watched Gigantor/Tetsujin-28go?(1956 for those of you keeping score at home)

Well, for older titles, it can get pretty hard to obtain some of them, whether you watch fansub/rip releases or watch them via the legal means. Usually with the lack of availability, older titles get lost in the mix, while ones that are common (i.e. Cowboy Bebop, FMA, etc etc) tend to get watched way more often.

I'm getting a sneaking feeling a large percentage of the anime world haven't watched anime earlier than the 1980s, with those who have seen 80s anime will include Akira, etc). However that's just an assumption of mine with not facts to back up said statement.

Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedUnit10 wrote:
The oldest anime that I have ever watched would be Mobile Suit Gundam (also know as First Gundam, Gundam 0079 or simply Gundam 79)

Mobile Suit Gundam was released on April 7, 1979.

Likewise for myself, Mobile Suit Gundam is probably the oldest one I can remember watching. However I know I have seen a few episodes of the original Casshern anime but I can't remember when it came out though.
Neurotic

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awh, I feel a little noobish for not being able to name some really obscure show. My oldest would be Akira, in terms of a TV series, it's Evangelion.
Menos

Daimyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Contra wrote:

Well, for older titles, it can get pretty hard to obtain some of them, whether you watch fansub/rip releases or watch them via the legal means. Usually with the lack of availability, older titles get lost in the mix, while ones that are common (i.e. Cowboy Bebop, FMA, etc etc) tend to get watched way more often.

I'm getting a sneaking feeling a large percentage of the anime world haven't watched anime earlier than the 1980s, with those who have seen 80s anime will include Akira, etc). However that's just an assumption of mine with not facts to back up said statement.

And it is a real shame that most fans haven't. Sad If you really look, you can find some nice gems. I watch a lot of obscure anime, personally (like Cosmo Pink Shock, California Crisis, and Dragon Half).
Neurotic

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me to be able to watch 80s (and earlier) titles that aren't Akira or Bubblegum Crisis, I'd have to trawl the internet to find a site with decent uploads or import them and buy a region 1/region 0 DVD player. I'm not doing either.
I also only tend to try shows that I've heard of and know a little bit about. I rarely just pick a show on a whim.
The Demon of White Fire

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is heard to say but I think it would be Akira.
but there was something I saw that black and wight
"cant remember it name... or the plot, but I remember the art XD"

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NegiMudkip

Transfer Student

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichigo I know you would like this but the oldest anime that I've watched was Robotech! And I still love it so much that the anime club has to let me only watch Mech/Robotech once a semester.
AsteriskCGY

Genin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think nothing can really beat Urusei Yatsura of all the junk I've watched. Well, I've picked up some random shows, like Usagi de Cue, or this other series I saw on TT called A Little Princess Sara, which might be older, but I haven't checked.
dragonofthewest

MS-09B Dom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformers. I would have put astroboy but I only saw the 90's series. Transform... rug rit dit dit

Busho

Location: Shibuya Terminal, Tokyo-To, on the planet you people call Jupiter (It's actually called Azmalrish).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NegiMudkip wrote:
Ichigo I know you would like this but the oldest anime that I've watched was Robotech! And I still love it so much that the anime club has to let me only watch Mech/Robotech once a semester.

Man I almost forgot about that. Used to watch that on the mornings when I still had TV. Not as good as Macross, but it had those motorcycles... way cool.

Whoever said you can't have too many weapons is a genius! Oh wait...that was me.

You know, I've seen a lot of things. But a 10 ton behemoth of metal, powered by a race of beings made of pure energy that are completely genocidal to all other things in the universe was never one of them. Now I can say that, I have in fact, seen it all.
Robotto_Kãnibaru

Transfer Student

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Oldest Anime I have Seen Reply with quote

One of the oldest ones I remember watching was Lensman-Secret of the Lens. They used to show it on Sci-Fi all the time along with the inspiration for my username on the weekends in the early 90's!
Contra

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaitoHajime101 wrote:

True enough, and for what it's worth I believe Gigantor had a small run on Cartoon Network's Toonami about a decade back, and there is a DVD release in the US.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
Gethsemane

Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest anime I have seen is Mobile Suit Gundam. Although it is the oldest, I saw Gundam Wing before I watched this one.
Phanto5692

OZ-06MS Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron
videodragon

Transfer Student

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: oldest anime Reply with quote

The oldest anime ive seen is fist of the north tv you can find it on hulu

YOU WA SHOCK

and honorable mention to kinnikuman
DarkLegato

Jōnin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Mobile suit gundam Reply with quote

The oldest would be Mobile suite Gundam for me.
Ray-Avalon

MS-06 Zaku II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be Mobile Suit Gundam for me. But I've only seen it because my friend gave me volume 10 of the DVD(The only one he had)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Anime Pulse All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: