Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
VG Pulse Thread of Activision

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MillenniumX17

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: VG Pulse Thread of Activision Reply with quote

This past week saw yet another Activision franchise meet its unfortunate end. Guitar Hero is but only the most recent game to suffer the fate of the "annualized franchise". It was not the first and sad to say, wont be the last. This weeks forum discussion is about Activision, Their business practices and their CEO Bobby Kotick. Do you agree or disagree with them and why? Does the ends justify the means? Is making video games strictly business or can there be another way to sell these interactive products?

AsteriskCGY

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game is a game when its interesting and you can call it whatever you want but it works. I think the first problem is how music is licensed with music games. The other half is the massive accessory package that game came with. Sure, we like the game, but on the storage end if this wasn't selling like hotcakes it costs exponentially more to store than other games, esp. when you can't press disk off a hard copy for these peripherals.

In the end, good business is what keeps a company that makes something moving. Without it they wouldn't be doing anything.

And frankly, Guitar Hero was on its way out, what with Kinect and Dance Central to look forward to.
Menos

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is rediculous. This is the first time since the series came out that they haven't had a game in a year (more importantly, they haven't had 9 games in a year). They also cancelled True Crime: Hong Kong (it looked... OK). It's funny it seems out of step for Activision; just make the game as best you can and pop it out.

For Guitar Hero, there was an incinuation that maybe this was just a year off. They have said that there will be no music games or skateboarding games for the rest of the year. Do I believe that we will never see a Hero game again? No. I believe they will go back to that well at some point. They'll probably wait till Harmonix revives that industry and make it attractive again Smilie_PDT . Music games feel like a genre that has sort of run it's course, and I'm not sure Activision is willing to support a moderate success. I mean they'll shut a studio down if their first game in a new franchise doesn't do well. Case in point, Bizzare Creations. Which I think Blur would have been a hit in it's second iteration. Raven, which I think continues to be under promoted (they have been around since the DOOM days) and has a lot to offer.

Activision needs to really rethink the way they run their buisness.
bezerk Hollow

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate all these damn music games anyway good bye guitar hero I won't miss you. First off I don't want a crap load of plastic instruments. Second they could put a better music selection together.

Wether people like to admit it or not the video game industry is a buisness and wether we like it or not it will be ran like one. Reacently on IGN's podcast they interviewed someone from the team making the conduit 2. The guy said that the company has teams to work on tittles but they all so have a pet project that they are taking their time with. He said that sometimes they have to stop working on the project and work on another game then come back to the project later. I don't know if all company's work that way but I would not be shocked.

Also there will bot be anymore Tony hawk games.

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might also affect how other companies work with Activision. Despite raking in 4.45 billion dollars last quarter the company is still letting go around 500 employees. It seems to me that they only care about their earnings. Who wants to work for a company like that?

Activision has announced that they have created a new studio named Beachhead that is working around the clock to make the Call of Duty online experience even more comprehensive. Activision finds the next big thing and completely disregards almost everything else. Fist it was Tony Hawk, then it was Guitar Hero, next it will probably be Call of Duty. There are really good games coming out of Activision, yet the company gives them almost no support.

I like Awesomeness, Randomness, and Fun!!!

(\ /)
( . . )
(")(")

Stop saying "animu" please.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: