Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Durarara!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Contra

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Durarara!! Reply with quote

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the show.

This is the second Ryohgo Narita series produced by Brain's Base, and boy do they let you know it. The first episode includes two (could be more, I'm not too familiar with the rest of their works) cameos from BB's more successful projects, Baccano! and Spice and Wolf II. Let's be clear, I've got no problem referencing another show's material for humor's sake so long as it's done well (which it was); that said, it screams of bad taste to so blatantly advertise your own show a couple months after its finished.

Speaking of blatant stuff, the similarities to Baccano! are evident to all but the terminally sarcastic amongst us right from the opening. It's as if BB is trying to say, "Hey! Remember that show we made a few years back that you really, really liked? Yeah, well this is written by the same guy, so you're gonna like it too right?!" While it is a good opening (if not very original) it is quite an obvious lure, hopefully one which does not disguise a painful, plot hole ridden hook.

My whining aside, this show appears to be sold. The characters are all (as far as they've been introduced) diverse and entertaining, and have definite potential for further characterization and growth. The storytelling so far is superb, and has managed to surprise me on more than one occasion. If Narita and BB don't screw it up (so far Narita's one-for-one), this looks to be the best show of the season.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt

Last edited by Contra on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
EaterofSouls101
Warnings : 1

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New favorit of mine

2nd episode, when the Biker girl saved the other girl as she jumped and she asked why, and she wrote "Because the world isnt as cruel you take it to be" was just such a "bawwwwwwwwwwwww" moment [/hide]

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may end up enjoying this more than Baccano!, which was great but really confused me with the continuity jumps. As long as this series doesn't have that issue, I'll be happy.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not Seen EP 2 Yet

I hope this series becomes good, I really enjoy the art and feel to it
Linux User #498407
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's opinion on the subs? I'm going with Frostii because they release an SD version my computer can actually handle. I watched the [gg] release first but I get lag with theirs.

I have noticed between them though, Frostii includes a lot more swearing. Of course I don't know Japanese so I'm not sure who's got the better translation. For now I'll sacrifice a little if it means I'm able to play it without problems.

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd archive Frostii's, but I'm grabbing gg when they release. Frostii takes so long, but were surprisingly fast on Nodame Cantabile Finale, where they got it out in like 36 hours.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Toya
kakashi87

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mines through Horrible-Subs. I experience video lag with gg as well. I haven't seen any subbed through Frostii. Anyone know where I can get a direct download link?
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about direct download but here is the link for Frostii's Durarara!! page.

http://frostii.com/category/releases/durarara/

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if It's the video player I'm using or if its because my laptop, is quite empty, but I'm using GG and its seamless. The video player I'm using is VLC.

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire_head wrote:
I'm not sure if It's the video player I'm using or if its because my laptop, is quite empty, but I'm using GG and its seamless. The video player I'm using is VLC.

Same, I haven't run into any issues with MPC (via CCCP) or VLC.

@Those with problems:
Have you tried updating your players?

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra wrote:
@Those with problems:

Got any specific links? I use MPC with the CCCP codec.

I just tried what I think was an update and I'm still getting serious lag in the video. It could just be that my computer isn't good enough to handle the format. Seriously, would it be that much of a hassle for sub groups to release multiple versions? A lot easier than me having to go out and spend a ton for a new computer right now.

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeChaser_Twice wrote:
Contra wrote:
@Those with problems:

I just tried what I think was an update and I'm still getting serious lag in the video. It could just be that my computer isn't good enough to handle the format. Seriously, would it be that much of a hassle for sub groups to release multiple versions? A lot easier than me having to go out and spend a ton for a new computer right now.

It probably is that your computer isn't roided out enough to play it. My last computer was like that, and even now, if I am running torrents, the video will lag. As to the multiple versions, plenty of groups do release multiple versions, but it does take more time and a bit of a hassle because it's a different kind of encoding gone into doing it, so its all up to the encoder's really.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Toya
Contra

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeChaser_Twice wrote:

Besides CCCP and VLC's websites? Not really. I found on my lower performance computers that I would get better fps out of MPC and VLC after I've updated.

Quote:
Seriously, would it be that much of a hassle for sub groups to release multiple versions? A lot easier than me having to go out and spend a ton for a new computer right now.

We've got no real right to complain, they're providing a free service in their spare time for no compensation besides their own enjoyment. When [gg] was releasing Umineko there would be some unofficial re-encodes (usually lower resolution Xvid) posted on TokyoTosho (and probably elsewhere).

--William Hazlitt
TimeChaser

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some comparing I'm going with unofficial XviD conversions of the [gg] subs. There were some grammatically questionable things in Frostii's.

Anyway, after all that epic subs discussion, back to the series. I really liked Ep 2 and how it went back and showed what else was going on during the first episode. The intrigue continues to pull me in.

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also give you a sense of how everyone's story are connected. I have a feeling that this won't evolve around a single storyline like Baccano! but instead the city itself is the main plot.

For some reason, it's giving me the same vibe as that NDS game "the world ends with you" for the sense of the city being lively and great.

Top of my list of animes to watch this season (followed by baka no test to shoukanjuu)
NarutoIsThe4th

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AP review for this sounded good. i think i'm going to start watching it.

edit
just watched episode 6. not sure what i think about it yet still...

"I know now. It's not that I'm afraid to die. I'm afraid to die without accomplishing anything. There must be a reason why were all here. There has to be! I'M GOING TO FIND THAT REASON!" - Kazuma

"Live to the fullest Ichigo. Live to the fullest, age to the fullest, go bald to the fullest... And die long after I do. And if possible, die with a smile." -Kurosaki Isshin

"Fullmetal? Sounds heavy. Tell him I like the feel of it. I won't let it weigh me down." - Edward Elric

"Good Evening, Earl" - Allen Walker
seira_g

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to start watching this show. It's been on my list ever since Ichigo did a preview for it, but I have a LONG list of shows I need to start watching. Maybe someday I'll get to them, but right now I don't have the time. Sad

Waste it watching anime.

Contra

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac and Mira from Baccano! show up in episode 10. On one hand I thought it was hilarious.

On the other, it's like Brains Base has stopped trying to be subtle about advertising their other shows.

--William Hazlitt
chaosof99

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm late to the party, but you guys realize that Baccano and Durarara are both based on light novels by the same author, Ryohgo Narita? They are also directed by the same person, Takahiro Omori.

Anyways, I love the show and while I also enjoyed Baccano, I like Durarara even more, mostly because it doesn't jump all over the place and the plot is a lot more linear. Baccano had way too much Quentinuity going on.

Also, the show doesn't refer to just products of the original author or Brain's Base either. In one scene Erika and Walker were definitely discussing Toaru Majutsu no Index and whether "Biribiri" or "Aisa" would become a main character.

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this show. I haven't seen Baccano! yet so I think I'll have to go check it out.

BTW, If you want to be a Dollar, just enter the password "Baccano" on their website. *snicker*

"You think you die and everything's sugar and rainbows?"
-Sazh (FFXIII)
Matt Wraith

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durarara!! is a awesome show but i still like Baccano a bit more. Do you think will pick it up too.
NarutoIsThe4th

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this show is growing on me.

is it only 1 season?

"I know now. It's not that I'm afraid to die. I'm afraid to die without accomplishing anything. There must be a reason why were all here. There has to be! I'M GOING TO FIND THAT REASON!" - Kazuma

"Live to the fullest Ichigo. Live to the fullest, age to the fullest, go bald to the fullest... And die long after I do. And if possible, die with a smile." -Kurosaki Isshin

"Fullmetal? Sounds heavy. Tell him I like the feel of it. I won't let it weigh me down." - Edward Elric

chaosof99

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NarutoIsThe4th wrote:
i think this show is growing on me.

is it only 1 season?

It's planned for 24 episodes. I'd call it two half-seasons since the first 12 and the second 12 episodes follow vastly different plots.

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only watched 2 eps at the moment and i dont really know what to mak of it but i guess since loads of people are watching it so it must be good. Its hard to keep up with it though because im watching loads other anime right now Razz

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/otaku22

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/otaku22

NarutoIsThe4th

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

episode 10 was my favorite episode so far. it really pulls the story together when mikado meets celty.

keeps getting better and better i can't stop watching it now...

edit:
episode 17 was awesome too. the story keeps getting pulled together even more and more. i like how the story is told. so now basically you have mikado, anri, and kida. they are all best friends in high school and they have no idea that they each control a major force in the city... the dollars, the slashers, and the yellow scarfs. that sums up the story pretty well, but then you also have izaya and shizou and celty to throw a little extra mahem in. i love this series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: