Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
So yeah, anime club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Discussions/Melting Pot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray-Avalon

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: So yeah, anime club Reply with quote

I've just started a local anime club where I live and could use a few ideas or suggestions. Last Friday was our first official meeting and we're having another tomorrow and we still need a name, so it would be totally appreciated if someone helped with that

xoMango

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need advice on a name for the anime club? Or advice in general?

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Evening Primrose. <.<

Kudos if you catch the reference.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Toya
paltir

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, I dunno... "Anime Club"? Kids today and their need to give everything some complicated name.... seriously.

When you say 'club', do you mean like High School, College, or just a local club. It really does matter for events and the like.

It's hard to give suggestions for something when you have no amplifying information....

"Not your worst nightmare; your every nightmare."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray-Avalon

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General advice would be fine and it's a local club. I'd say more, but I just game back from a loooong meeting

Codeouran

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a bit of experience on this subject as I am the founder and current president of my school's anime club. For the name, we just used our school's nickname and "anime club". So we are [_____] Anime Club. As far as what you do/watch goes, I know I generally show up with my external and then let everyone else decide what we watch. We will try and watch one series before we move onto another, so it is important to chose 1 or 2 season shows so people don't get bored of it. I think 1 seasons show are probably better. Also, in my club we have some people who are really into Yu-Gi-Oh!, so they will play cards while the rest of us watch anime. That works really well.

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Code, let the general opinion decide the animes.
But I suggest watching something like the first 6 episodes of an anime then decide again whether to keep going, or switch to another anime.

Shogun (将軍)

Shogun (将軍)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoMango wrote:
I would agree with Code, let the general opinion decide the animes.
But I suggest watching something like the first 6 episodes of an anime then decide again whether to keep going, or switch to another anime.

I agree with Mango. My club watch the first 7 episodes of Durarara!! and then switched to watching Ben-To instead, and people seem to be enjoying that more.

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I'm honored that Code has posted on my forums. I'll take those into consideration, but I may have figured out what we'll do for the name. And yeah, everyone has cards in the club, so we tend to duel too. As for shows, I'm trying to get them into Higurashi and Genshiken just so they can see what direction I sort of want the club to go. And I'm trying to get them to listen to the Pulse shows

Contra

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advice that worked in my college's anime club:

1 - No matter whether you as the leader decide, or it is a group decision, people will be unhappy with the selection of anime you show. Therefore you should determine how the selection is done based on the group's makeup. Is the a big group of show-X fans? If so, then leader selection may be the better choice. That's not to say that you shouldn't watch show-X, but that groupthink can make other fans feel excluded. Remember the old adage about popularity and quality applies to anime as well.

2 - If you show long runners (Gintama, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc.), limit the number of episodes shown per week (or at all). If you're only meeting for an hour a week, it's probably not worth spending ~half that time on one of those shows, especially since you want to get people watching 'good'* shows.

3 - Do things outside of watching anime. Have things like a game night once in a while (tabletop or video, as long as people are having fun it doesn't matter). If you've got any competent cosplayers, ask them to do a clinic some time; people with passion tend to enjoy teaching others about their subject of interest. Visit cons as a group, or at least organize a couple meetups at the nearby cons.

4 - Most important of all, make the club fun. Don't just gather a bunch of people in a quiet dark room for n-hours, encourage socialization and fun amongst the members. Most anime fans tend to be a bit off socially, so having a safe place where they can hang out with people of similar interests does a lot toward making everyone more sociable.

Most cons have a, "Running a successful anime club," panel. If you can attend, then do so.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt

Last edited by Contra on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray-Avalon

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm just showing those to give an idea for the club in a way. Other then that, we tend to have fun dueling, playing games, watching anime and reading manga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Discussions/Melting Pot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: