Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carnival Phantasm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Contra

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Carnival Phantasm Reply with quote

Pick any animated adaptation of a Type Moon game you'll find they like their more mature tropes. Abuse, murder, betrayal, torture, rape abound these works. Characters are often forced not to make a decision between light and dark, but between two shades of grey; to abandon their ideals and dreams for the sake of their friends, or to accept cynicism and pragmatism. Compound that with a staggering amount of world-building and a magic system with over a decade of development and you have a beautiful setting in which to build a powerful storyline.

But forget that shiggity, let's have fun! Carnival Phantasm is the result of taking the characters from previous Type Moon works (Fate/stay Night, Tsukihime, and Melty Blood) and putting them into wacky and nonsensical situations.

And it is hilarious. I can say, without a doubt, that Carnival Phantasm contains some of the funniest content I have ever seen Japan produce. Combine that with an oddly addictive opening and closing

If you're not (barely) familiar with the above Type Moon works, you will likely not all the references and jokes. Which is of course by design; the series was created as a fun celebration their tenth anniversary for the fans, not as an individual work in and of itself.

Each of the twelve episodes more or less stands on its own, there are a couple exceptions but it's not so much that the series needs to be watched in order. I wish I could say that the laughs were constant and powerful throughout, but some episodes shine while others fall flat. That said, the humor is constant throughout and even the weaker episodes will earn a chuckle or two.

The series was released straight to DVD/BD in three installments, the last one on December 31st.

The tl;dr - Watch. This. Show.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Other Anime All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: