Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First time con. Need advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Anime Conventions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBaron

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: First time con. Need advice. Reply with quote

Hey, guys i'm gearing up for NDK here in Colorado and was wondering if you guys have any tips for a first time con attendee.
Weltall

God of Manga (マンガの神様)

God of Manga (マンガの神様)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discuss this on some of our early con specials...
TheBaron

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What episodes are those?
BrotherHumble

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frequent con goes and sometimes volunteer here are a few tips that might help you on your first con:
1) Follow the 6/3/1 rule. Get a minimum of 6 hours of sleep a night. Eat at least 3 meals a day ( Pocky is not a meal, neither is a hot pocket nor something you found in your pocket). And shower once a day. Showering includes using soap and afterwards deodorant, nothing worse than being the stinky person in the elevator.
2) Stay hydrated. Most cons have water coolers all over the place.
3) Use the elevators wisely. Get in, get out and for goodness sake don’t be the jerk who presses all the buttons in the elevator cause it’s funny (it’s not and some cons will ban you for that). Also, if you only have to go up or down one floor try and take the escalators/stairs, 90% of the time it will be faster and it will ease congestions on the elevator.
4) Have a general plan for the day. When you get your badge you will probably get a schedule and a map with it, take a glance at the panels and choose some to go to. Pick wisely, the dealers room, the gaming room and the anime viewing rooms are generally open most of the day so save those for some of the panel down times. Remember that lines for the main events usually start forming 45 minutes to an hour before the event.
5) Don’t obstruct the flow of foot traffic. If you want to take a photo of someone or someone wants to take a photo of you, move over to the sides of the hallways.
6) Be mindful of your budget. The dealer’s room is very tempting as is the artist’s alley but just keep an eye on your money. For most artists it is helpful if you give them exact change or small bills (i.e. $5s or $10s) as it make their life easier. The people in the dealer’s room have an easier time giving you change for your $20s. Be prepared for most people to only accept cash, and if you have to withdraw money look for a bank nearby rather than the hotel’s ATM which usually charges you some $3-$5 per transaction. After you are done shopping make sure you take your purchases some place safe. So many people end up losing things or having them stolen because they put them down to take a picture of something and then forget about their purchases.
7) Don’t be a Jerk to the staff and don’t trash the hotel. The hotel will hold the con responsible for damages and may not allow them to come back the following year.
Smilie_PDT Talk to people and try different panels. Talk to the artists, guests, other fans, most will have cool things to tell you or know of some cool things to do. A lot of panels are also quite creative and funny so don’t be afraid to go to them. Panel titles like “Costuming from goodwill” or “Steampunk on a Budget” will probably be about what it says on the title but panels like “Kamina’s Guide to Manliness (18+)” or “Ocarinas: from Aztecs to Zelda” will probably have some interesting things. (Those four examples are from the convention I went to last week San Japan).
9) Use common sense and know your limits. Raves, gaming rooms, and after parties are fun but know your limits.
10) Shower and change and use deodorant. For the love of all that is good and sacred and fluffy and nice and boat like: don’t be the person causing the con funk. Body spray is not a substitute for a shower and a change of clothes!
Well, hope this helps a bit.
IchigoKurusaki

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you follow those rules you should be fine.

you know, this should be a sticky...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Anime Conventions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: