Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
VG Pulse Thread of Kickstarter

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MillenniumX17

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: VG Pulse Thread of Kickstarter Reply with quote

In the wake of the overwhelming success of Double Fine's Kickstarter program, What are your thoughts and opinions on video game developers use of kickstarter in the future? Is it a good idea or is it a one hit wonder?

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter page - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Mao Tenshi

Daimyo (大名)

Daimyo (大名)

Location: Shibuya Terminal, Tokyo-To, on the planet you people call Jupiter (It's actually called Azmalrish).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm rather impressed. I would love to say that companies should do this to see what kind of games they would make, but then they would just make too much money. I mean, I'm still itching for Psychonauts 2, despite knowing it will never be made. If I were to throw my money into that, what would happen to other games like Mario and Sonic?

Personally, I think this is a one hit wonder, mainly due to Schaffer's rep and how many people love his games, and how little success they actually see. They are all classics, but never really do all that great overall when compared to other companies. Just goes to show how dedicated people an be.

Whoever said you can't have too many weapons is a genius! Oh wait...that was me.

You know, I've seen a lot of things. But a 10 ton behemoth of metal, powered by a race of beings made of pure energy that are completely genocidal to all other things in the universe was never one of them. Now I can say that, I have in fact, seen it all.
Xeorl

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that this could be a double-edged sword. By crowd-sourcing you can take the big developers out of the picture, but realize that you end up possibly pissing off those devs to please a fickle fan base. That said, if you can pull it off, awesome. I've seen it work for smaller projects, but nothing as big as a major game. I wonder what's going to happen with this in the future.
xahldera

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not really bothered about how a developer is funded to be honest. As long as they make a good product that I want to buy. Having said that, it has to be sustainable because if this Kickstarter project turns out to be a one hit wonder, then anyone who relies on it will find themselves in deep shoot... Smilie_PDT
triforcewarriorcody

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know what it is so i dont care
MegiddoAngel

Total N00B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kickstarter projects, one has to market themselves to others. Whether that is just through having an awesome description on Kickstarter, or reaching out to anyone and everyone you know and then some, much of it relies on who sees it and what they think. Having a strong reputation beforehand certainly helps.

That being said, there still needs to be a demand for the project's goals. In this case, you have a video game from well-known guys. With their reputation comes a great demand for a quality product. If the game is a dud and fails to meet expectations, then that could hurt future video game projects on Kickstarter. Odds are, though, it will turn out fine.
mazrim

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

triforcewarriorcody wrote:

Try here.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
IchigoKurusaki

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched it and I have to say I am impressed. I haven't seen an old school adventure since the Animaniacs PC game. I would back it if I had the money.
MillenniumX17

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazrim wrote:

Try here.

Not to mention I also put a link to Double Fine's Kickstarter page in the original post. I also might put it in below this sentence.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

triforcewarriorcody

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i know what it is but i still dont care. i dont indulge in those kinds of games
mazrim

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MillenniumX17 wrote:
In the wake of the overwhelming success of Double Fine's Kickstarter program, What are your thoughts and opinions on video game developers use of kickstarter in the future? Is it a good idea or is it a one hit wonder?

now i know what it is but i still dont care. i dont indulge in those kinds of games

I don't think you quite understood the question.

Personally I think this is a great idea, but at the same time I'm not sure it could work for everyone. Double Fines members have a great heritage of games that alot of people in their late 20s/early 30s look fondly upon, couple this with Notch him self tweeting the link and you have an instant recipie for at least moderate success. This being said, the current total for the fundraiser is frankly a little insane, $2million dollars and counting.

triforcewarriorcody

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazrim wrote:
MillenniumX17 wrote:

I don't think you quite understood the question.

Personally I think this is a great idea, but at the same time I'm not sure it could work for everyone. Double Fines members have a great heritage of games that alot of people in their late 20s/early 30s look fondly upon, couple this with Notch him self tweeting the link and you have an instant recipie for at least moderate success. This being said, the current total for the fundraiser is frankly a little insane, $2million dollars and counting.

why cant my opinion be i dont care. the only reason i even posted the first time was so that i dont get bitched at by kas.
mazrim

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter, but saying you don't care because you don't play these sorts of games implies that you haven't fully understood/read the question. Also the title of the feature is forum discussion, saying "I don't care" isn't really discussion, or for that matter an opinion, it's more of an avoidance of one.

triforcewarriorcody

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i dont really have an opinion. again i post so kas dosn't bitch
dragonofthewest

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what so ever

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: VG Pulse Thread of Kickstarter Reply with quote

The success of DoubleFine's Kickstarter campaign was no doubt fueled by Tim Schafer's popularity, as well as their own viral marketing campaign. Once they hit their initial fans (who in turn likely spread the word), the effect snowballed into the mind boggling amount of money they collected.

In the end, the event showed that funding a game through Kickstarter can work, but I have to wonder if a smaller (or new) developer without any name recognition would have any success.

"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a subject of interest."
--William Hazlitt
Vailreth

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel newer Developers will have a bit of trouble getting initial funds but as they become more well known they will do better. i hope that publishers in general will be able to fund them selves this way and we can cut out the Publishers.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: