Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
VG Pulse Thread of Augmented Reality

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MillenniumX17

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: VG Pulse Thread of Augmented Reality Reply with quote

What are your thoughts and opinions on augmented reality gaming? Is this a good idea or is it something that is doomed?

Nnoitora Jiruga

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how it is done. I mean is it where you put on a helmet to view the game or is it a room just for the game?
xahldera

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an interesting idea but I personally think it works better for casual games than serious ones, IMHO. Be careful not to run out into the road while trying to shoot your in game opponent though!
Xeorl

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xahldera wrote:
Be careful not to run out into the road while trying to shoot your in game opponent though!

Now see that right there is a really great benefit. We're overpopulated as a species and if that's what it takes to weed out those who shouldn't reproduce, great. Darwin Awards for everyone!
xahldera

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeorl wrote:
xahldera wrote:
Be careful not to run out into the road while trying to shoot your in game opponent though!

Now see that right there is a really great benefit. We're overpopulated as a species and if that's what it takes to weed out those who shouldn't reproduce, great. Darwin Awards for everyone!

As tempting as it may be to agree to that, I would rather not have to deal with bits of pedestrian on my car. Driving is problematic enough for me. Razz

Returning to the subject and adding to my original reply, whether or not AR Gaming is a good idea would depend on how it's implemented, as Nnoitora Jiruga said. If it needs expensive equipment, it won't take off but if it only needs something you already have like a smartphone, I could see it working well, especially with casual games as I said earlier.
dragonofthewest

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be cool, holodecks would rock

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time i have seen an example that i thought would be cool to try was in batman beyond where the game consoul was his sun glasses. other than that it sounds like a hassel
Ocarinist Sid

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't belive that AR technology is in a advanced enough state for it to be implemented into gaming as it is now. Just small things that the 3DS can do is fine for now. But I don't see the 3DS or any consoles for the next fifteen years making anything great. Face Raiders is what we have now and we should be happy with it... I guess.
paltir

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid, you are totally wrong when you say shiggity ain't advanced enough. With location services like 4square, that thing where you can see on a map where your friends are, that google view thing(uses your camera and built in GPS to display restaurants/stores/etc just by holding it up to a street, like street view only on your phone, and 'real time'), and in general the power of smartphones today, there is ZERO reason why the technology isn't 'advanced enough'.

It's mostly the implementation of AR games that is the issue. GPS software where you are encouraged to go down backstreets and seldom used roads and awarded points for doing so, in order for the software to collect more information about the area and build better maps? fudging AR game.

Treasure Island hotel/resort in vegas? You can rent basically an tablet for your kids. It's a treasure hunt thing, where specific locations in the hotel and surrounding areas the tablet allows you to interact with it in different way. Disney has something like that too. Goddamn AR games.

Are things advanced enough for us to use sunglasses and play some FPS real time running around the street? fudge no.

Are you telling me someone can't build Pokemon for the goddamn iphone/android that will constantly scan the network and ping you when there's a trainer close by and you can challange him/her? Even better a trainer battle only app that you keep on your phone and sync's with the main game. You telling me nintendo can't build that shiggity? Bullshit.

That shiggity would be amazing, but Pokemon sells so well now, without adds or a pretty strong upfront cost, I don't think we are at the point where it's cost effective, or worth developing. I think everyone agrees that it's easily possible and wildly popular, facebook checkins etc, it's just gaming companies either ARENT looking into it, or haven't found a cost effective way to develop it, since none of the current handhelds has the network to run AR games like phones do now.

"Not your worst nightmare; your every nightmare."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, it's just a cute supplement to bigger games, but who knows where it'll go as tech advances.

Speaking of augmented reality, there's an app called string. You print out special paper and when you put your phone up at it, you see these 3d animated images

poweredbystring.com

No, I haven't used it.
Vailreth

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the 3ds have GPS or maybe the vita? for monster collection games what if you could walk around Real Life and encounter wild Pokemon dependent on what part of town or what ever you were in? or Maybe "scan" your location with your handheld then interact with virtual entities inhabiting the virtualized location?

i Think there is Great Potential here if Developers are willing to look into it. i personally would like to mix my Fantasy and Reality, like "Scanning" in a block down town and fighting Sephiroth in the middle of the city as Squall and Yuna. just saying. bro.

Last edited by Vailreth on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Noir

Sensei (先生)

Sensei (先生)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye cancer that is all

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augmented reality could be really cool. But with the tech thats out right now I don't think it could be done well enough to make it worth while enough.
Vailreth

I've seen Akira

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noir wrote:
Eye cancer that is all

Eye Cancer? maybe brain cancer if the head set is wireless. but with them working on HuD contact lenses and other cool tech who knows were gaming will lead.

i imagine one day implants that overlay an image over reality and have built in system to analyze what the player can see and throws up interactive elements the player can manage. a game version of
http://vimeo.com/8569187.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Pulse Shows All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: