VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Discuss individual shows here
darkgodakito
Fan
Fan

VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Post by darkgodakito » Fri May 18, 2018 1:31 am

"In light of the dawn of E3, does it have any relevance in today's social media/leak saturated world?"

~submitted by Xahldera

YotaruVegeta
Fan
Fan

Re: VGP 304 Discussion Topic: E3 Relevance?

Post by YotaruVegeta » Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 am

People still watch it live and get hyped for it, so it has some kind of relevance. I don't know the numbers, but E3 is gamer Christmas. Or maybe Christmas is gamer Christmas. ANYHOO, I'm not into it on the day of the event, but I like to hear about all the new games and announcements the day after.

What I really care about isn't this E3, but where all those games promised at the previous E3 are! Just tell us that they're all canceled!

Androes
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Androes » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Well if every new game get "leaked" ,then it probably won't be worth watching . However if the game companies can keep something secret till E3 it might be worth watching. It going to be relevant if there is something new that hasn't been "leaked".

rampant_a_i
Fan
Fan

Post by rampant_a_i » Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 pm

I would LIKE to think E3 is and can remain relevant, but I have the niggling concern that it might be going the way of other such conventions and trade shows. the reason for this would not be particularly due to a fall in consumer/gamer interest — because I think gamers in particular are still quite pumped about these announcements of new titles and products — rather, the game companies themselves seem to be trying to kill the golden goose through their foolish use of what the VGP crew have dubbed "the ninja janitors", i.e., the senseless leaks by companies in the weeks and days leading up to the event itself. I can bet the development teams themselves have been killing themselves for a year or more keeping the lid on their project only to have some marketing wonk decide a strategic leak to be a "brilliant" strategy. If I were on such a team I'd be wanting to kill my marketing staff, because all this does is put a huge damper on what gets presented at the big show, and all your careful diligence is dashed, to no good effect. Why keep your project secret at all then?
And then it puts a sour light on E3 itself because all of the lackluster and hohum disappointment is due to the thunder being fizzled away beforehand. the showrunners have got to be flummoxed at the idiocy of their participant companies. And as interest wains and the consumers look elsewhere, the E3 hosts will get the blame. I am starting to feel sorry for them.
Wherever you go... there you are.