VGP 343 Discussion Topic: Stadia!

Discuss individual shows here
darkgodakito
Fan
Fan

VGP 343 Discussion Topic: Stadia!

Post by darkgodakito » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am

With the release of Google Stadia being a bit of a flop, is there any future for purely online distribution of games? And what can companies do to make the adoption of this technology easier and less painful?

~Idea submitted and written by Xahldera~

link of hyrule
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Re: VGP 343 Discussion Topic: Stadia!

Post by link of hyrule » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:27 am

I'm back. Haven't been by in a while because I got a girlfriend then I got engaged and now I'm planning a wedding. I've kept listening to the show though.

I think the real question to answer is, "why?" Everyone either has access to a PC or console to play games so where would be the incentive to actually get a streaming service. Playstation has been dabbling with an online gaming subscription for their game library (granted, you have to pay a subscription on top of ps plus) but I dont see any real incentive....yet. Giving out game passes for games you already own could be a good step in the right direction for incentivizing the switch. I think, also, ISP's need to get internet to a higher standard before any real breakthrough can be done. If streaming music has surpassed buying music then gaming shouldn't be too far behind

Algazero
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Re: VGP 343 Discussion Topic: Stadia!

Post by Algazero » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:56 am

First off, welcome back Link!!!
And as far as Online only distribution for games, I don't see thar happening. Steam and GOG make a lot of money sure, but physical will ALWAYS be important what with games being removed from store fronts like some of marvel capcom fighters, ducktales, scott pilgrim, and more recently, P.T. The fear of never owning your games is a very real thing these days.
As far as streaming goes, the U.S. has some of the worst Internet speed when compared to the rest of the world. Whether that be because of cultural issues, financially unfeasible, etc. We aren't there yet with streaming games being viable, ESPECIALLY WITH DATA CAPS. I'm looking at you Comcast.
Maybe in 5 to 10 years when gigabit speed is the norm and data caps are a thing of the past.
I feel the Stadia will go the way of the OUYA before long.
Searching for Silent Hill...
MyAnimeList
MyMangaList
Past affiliations as QC/Proofreader: Kaitou Fansubs - Blood Lad, Strike the Blood, Attack on Ti.tan OVA
For-the-Halibut/Let It Go Scans: Hataraku Maou-sama!, Adam in Puberty, Kamisama Drops, Sekirei