Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Compressed Episodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Improvement Advice/Error Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overkill

I watch Dragonball-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Compressed Episodes Reply with quote

I think it would be nice to have a compressed file download option like with winzip or rar. Dont know if its possible mainly the .mp3 gets me blocked on some computers but windows comes with a version of winzip these days.

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the AP people would take the time to stay consistent with zipping/archiving these audio files. However, I could see someone who isn't on the AP staff taking one for the team by hosting zipped copies to his or her own server.
Ichigo

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, unfortunately I don't know of a way to dynamically compress the file into an archive for downloading, which means I would have to host two versions of each file on libsyn, which means I would need to pay more, since we pay for upload and not download. So unless someone knows an easy php-based method for archiving on the fly that I could incorporate into WP, I don't think this will happen from our end.

Thanks,

Ichigo

グレンラガン! スピンオン! 俺を誰だっと思ってる
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Red_Alchemist

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could compress the MP3 and email it to whoever wants it, if you're willing to possibly wait overnight. Assuming AP doesn't mind.
Ichigo

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't violate any of the terms of our license at all. You are free to redistribute it, as long as you don't change it or charge for it, and say where you got it from.

Thanks,

Ichigo

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ickyb0d

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichigo wrote:
So unless someone knows an easy php-based method for archiving on the fly that I could incorporate into WP, I don't think this will happen from our end.

I'd have to look back at php to see how it's done. But i've already done stuff like creating zip files and pdf's on the fly using perl; which i'm sure you're webhost has as well. If you want, i can play around with making a php/perl dynamic archiving script for you either tomorrow or next weekend sometime if you think you'd actually use it.

MrVince wrote:
I'm not sure if the AP people would take the time to stay consistent with zipping/archiving these audio files. However, I could see someone who isn't on the AP staff taking one for the team by hosting zipped copies to his or her own server.

Actually, I could maybe do this. As my webhost has a TON of bandwidth and a TON of storage that we never use. I could host it for a while and see if we just get totally bombarded with zips.

Also, we're talking just compressing 1 mp3 into 1 zip? I realize that changes the filename, but the compression won't really change the size or really impact anything other than the filename. Seems like an awful lot of work as the original poster is just requesting a filename change. I'm sure theres another/easier solution than actually zipping the file.

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mediafire.com/?6fxgmzlyzzd
Episode 92 Compressed. I'll try to compress, upload & post right after the episode comes out from now on, but due to my school stuff I may not be able to get to it for a day or two, at most.
MrVince

Kohai (後輩)

Kohai (後輩)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ickyb0d wrote:
I'm sure theres another/easier solution than actually zipping the file.

There is. I can think of two options:

1. Ichigo or Chigo should be able to just soft link it on the server. In other words, something along the lines of:

Code:
ln -s episode21.mp3 episode21.foobar

Where foobar could be the extension. Maybe "episode21.archive" would be appropriate. The plus of this is that no new files would be made, saving massive disk space (see icky's comment about the compression ratio of mp3 to zip). Obviously after creating the soft link, you'll need to chmod the soft link to 644. All of this can be easily automated with a script too!

2. I never tried this but perhaps someone outside of the AP crew can create a link via tinyurl.com (or a similar service) to serve as a web redirect.
Ichigo

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

God of Anime (アニメの神様)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we use libsyn to host the files, and libsyn only provides FTP access and not terminal access. So I can't create logical links. I will continue looking into this and see if there is any other workaround.

Thanks,

Ichigo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Improvement Advice/Error Reports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: