Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afro D. Luffy

Sensei (先生)

Sensei (先生)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) Reply with quote

Being the Slowking that I am, I only recently got into Phoenix Wright, the series that had the intertron screaming, "OBJECTION LAWLS!" Of course, my delayed arrival to it can also be blamed on my previous lack of a Nintendo DS, but that's beside the point.

In Phoenix Wright, you play the title character, a defense lawyer just getting introduced into the court system. The gameplay is really simple. When you're not in court, you travel around town looking for evidence to help your side of the case. This involves a lot of pointing and clicking, which the touch screen on the DS turns into a fairly easy task. You also have to talk to various characters, in order to find some helpful evidence or info. The only time this is anywhere near difficult is when you're given multiple choices on what to say to the characters; However, the game has a save feature that you can use almost anytime during it. This feature is both a saving grace and a pretty big flaw in Phoenix Wright, but I'll get to that later.

When you're in court, you must read through the testimonies of witnesses and find contradictions in their testimonies by presenting evidence or pressing them on their statements. Pressing them on their statements usually just helps you squeeze additional info out of them, but picking the correct time to present evidence actually requires a surprising amount of reading comprehension (At least in later cases). Luckily, if you time it wrong and see a penalization coming your way (Your allowed five penalizations), you have that handy dandy save feature to take you back to right before you made a mistake. The problem with this is that if a player doesn't want to do any thinking, they can just play through the entire game via trial and error, which really takes the fun out of it.

Other than that and the fact that there's a lot of scrolling through text, there aren't any big problems with Phoenix Wright. If you're looking for something that has simple gameplay, yet still manages to make you think, I'd suggest picking up Ace Attorney.

JESUS CHRIST HOW HORRIFYING
ickyb0d

Evangelion is cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) Reply with quote

Sorry for all the quotes/responses... a summary/conclusion is at the bottom!

Afro D. Luffy wrote:
This involves a lot of pointing and clicking, which the touch screen on the DS turns into a fairly easy task.

I actually don't use the touch screen (er... rather with a stylus) at all in this game! I prefer to use the buttons + DPad, along with fingers when touching needs to be involved. It's still nice to have an option to use either.

Afro D. Luffy wrote:
but picking the correct time to present evidence actually requires a surprising amount of reading comprehension (At least in later cases).

And knowing when to press (and even re-press!) the correct statement at times is tough!

Afro D. Luffy wrote:
The problem with this is that if a player doesn't want to do any thinking, they can just play through the entire game via trial and error, which really takes the fun out of it.

I'll somewhat agree, but the most fun I get from this game is 90% from the storyline and the craziness of the dialogue/characters.

Not to sound like a promo for this game, but i completely agree, this game is hilarious and at times quite clever. Right now I'm about 75% through the 3rd installment of PW and it just keeps getting better. (although! Nothing quite matches up to the last case in the first game [minor spoiler that won't really reveal anything...] video evidence!). But whenever I end up going on a work trip or an extended flight/train ride... you'll always find me reacquainting myself with PW. The only bad thing I can say - is that if you come back to a case like 1-2 months after playing it... sometimes it's hard to remember all the events and evidence that you've accumulated. But as I've stated, the story, characters and dialogue is really what keeps me playing. I'm surprised no one has already made a thread about this!

Total N00B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he made a good role of being a new defense lawyer, Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: