Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index Anime Pulse Forums
Anime Pulse Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
*!=!* The Watching Anime FAQ *!=!*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneykid

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: *!=!* The Watching Anime FAQ *!=!* Reply with quote

I thought it's about time we get something of a watching Anime FAQ seeing as alot of people have problems with this.
If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them and myself or an admin can edit this post and add them.

08/28/2009 Edit: Minor fix and announcement
09/04/2009 Edit: Minor edits/fixes and added instructions on how to convert vobsub
03/13/2011 Edit: Updated some spelling(Video's? Really? I was an idiot) and added some Info.

DO NOT ASK FOR SUPPORT HERE.
MAKE A NEW THREAD IF YOUR PROBLEM ISN'T SPECIFIED.

!Before continuing to read this FAQ, please go download Community Combined Codec Pack(CCCP) or VLC/GOM
as this will solve about 75% of problems!

If you have already done so, whether now or in the past, then read on.

Q. Watching SD Videos is all slow and buggy

A. Most likely it's something with software, try GOM and VLC, if it still doesn't work, make a new thread in the forum.

Q. Watching HD Videos is all slow and buggy.
A. There could be 2 causes to this, either your hardware is not powerful enough or there's something wrong with your software. I recommend playing the video with both GOM and VLC media players, if it still doesn't work then you may want to try watching the video with DXVA(read Graphics Chip acceleration for video's[read down a little more to find out how])

Q. What is this DXVA thing and how do i enable it?
A. Go here: http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/
OR for a CUDA alternative http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

Q. HOW THE F*$# DO I CONVERT MKV WITH SUBTITLES?!
A. Xvid4PSP always did a good job for me, just pick what you're converting it for and pick the quality.[I recommend using version 5.0.37 or 5.0.36 and NOT 5.0.37.4]
Update: HandBrake now supports SSA and VOBSUB so try it out if you know your MKV has either of those.

Q. I tried converting with Xvid4PSP but it didn't hardcode subtitles, WTF?!
A. Extract the subtitles from the MKV and make Xvid4PSP add the subtitles manually.
You can do this by downloading mkvtoolnix install it, than download MKVE Wizard(not MKVExtractGUI mind you) and extract it to a folder.
Open MKVE Wizard, drag the mkv file onto the wizard(or open the file manually), hit next, select the subtitle track(usually track 3, or a text/subtitle file) and hit next again.
It will then extract the subtitles in the same folder as the MKV Video and you can then add the subtitles in Xvid4PSP by clicking 'subtitles' at the top and click add, open the subtitles and then proceed to convert the video with subtitles fully intact.

Q. Xvid4PSP doesn't accept the subtitles/ the subtitles mess up my video!
A. Your subtitles are either corrupt, broken, or in the wrong format.
To check, download Subtitles Workshop and load them, if it loads correctly then save it as somthing else(i prefer Subrip), and if they're corrupt or broken, complain to the people who released the video.

Q. How do i burn *insert random video format here* to dvd?

A. I reccomend using ConvertXtoDVD, it's always worked for me and it even lets you select which audio or subtitles streams you want(or dont want)

Q. How do i convert Vobsub subtitles?(.IDX/.Sub)
A. Use this guide .(It may seem complicated but it really take like 10 minutes) And if you dont know what the FPS of your video is you can use Video Inspector.
Update: HandBrake just added support for VOBSUB subtitles, try it out if you have a chance.
I'll figure out how to use subrip at a later date so we can share our character matrixes.

Q. What should I use to convert hardcoded Anime?
A. HandBrake is a good converter if you need to convert to h.264 MP4(Which I know that Xbox 360, PS3 and most iPods/iPhones can play) or MKV.

If you need some other format

Notable Things:

MeGUI is apparently a good video converter as well(i've never used it correctly, it's too complicated ._.; )
It is fairly complicated, only attempt if you know what you're doing.(or at least research it first)

Last edited by Zoneykid on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:30 am; edited 22 times in total
SaitoHajime101

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good program you should add to the list of convertables is MeGUI. Can convert anything to anything short of VOB files. I don't think it will do RMVB and RMs either but never tried.

Also you should add one about 1080p: (example)

Q: I ran a 1080p video on my computer but it keeps freezing every two seconds. Whats going on?

A: Stop playing it immediately. If you can't play it smooth don't play it cause its meant for high end processors like Core 2 Duo and Quad. Also you would need a good graphics card as well. Without these you run the chance of frying your GPU (graphics card) or your CPU (processor).

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Watching Anime FAQ Reply with quote

zoneykid wrote:
Q. Watching HD video's is all slow and buggy.
A. There could be 2 causes to this, either your hardware is not powerful enough or there's something wrong with your software. I recommend playing the video with both GOM and VLC media players, if it still doesn't work then you may want to try watching the video with DXVA(read Graphics Chip acceleration for video's[read down a little more to find out how])

Now all HD video's are 720p? Also, you do NOT run a chance of frying your CPU or GPU just by playing an HD video... might get a little hot but that's it.

Also, MegGUI is WAY too complicated for normal everyday people.
But i'll add it in anyway.
SaitoHajime101

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man but ive seen cpus get overheated from 1080p files when the cpu isn't meant for that kinda of processing. Fair warning, if you don't believe me try running one on a low end processor. Just giving some word of advice man.

And 1080p is higher resolution, especially good for tvs running HD from your computer to your TV. They've been doing this lately for Blu Ray anime films, but ive seen a couple anime series re-released in 1080p just for a small portion of the community.

Also if you want I could make a simple tutorial on how to convert files. Its not as hard as it seems. Just gotta know where the tools are located then its simple steps from there. MeGUI's interface is the only confusing part about it all.

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Sorry man but ive seen cpus get overheated from 1080p files when the cpu isn't meant for that kinda of processing. Fair warning, if you don't believe me try running one on a low end processor. Just giving some word of advice man.

And 1080p is higher resolution, especially good for tvs running HD from your computer to your TV. They've been doing this lately for Blu Ray anime films, but ive seen a couple anime series re-released in 1080p just for a small portion of the community.

Also if you want I could make a simple tutorial on how to convert files. Its not as hard as it seems. Just gotta know where the tools are located then its simple steps from there. MeGUI's interface is the only confusing part about it all.

I never said they dont overheat, i just HIGHLY doubt they would actually fry out...

I know what 1080p is, i was just being sarcastic...

And go ahead and make a tutorial, i'll be sure to add it if you do.
SaitoHajime101

Otaku (お宅)

Otaku (お宅)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry wasn't tryin to say you weren't. I knew you were being sarcastic. I had a point but I kinda forgot what it was when I was explaining how anime's are slowly starting to be encoded into 1080p format. Whatever I forget now ahahaha

as far as the tutorial for MeGUI, ill have it written out in a couple days with screenshots.

Samurai (侍)

Samurai (侍)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best program for Burning DVDs?

I ask simply cause I use to have a good one, when my pc crashed it wasn't backed up, and have no clue what that program was. I just know it was a whole lot more effective then Sonic.

<blarg> "anime is like sex. it's intended to achieve something, but you just do it to enjoy it anyway"
Reach out and support the boobies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime Pulse Forums Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: