American Tropes

Discuss manga here
LifeGuardJake
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

American Tropes

Post by LifeGuardJake »

Since Tim and Weltall are always complaining about Japanese tropes, what would be a similar trope that is present (or could be present) in American culture?

For example in cop TV dramas when they lose a partner and have to begin working with a new partner that they don't want to.
thatanimeguy
Fan
Fan

Re: American Tropes

Post by thatanimeguy »

The trope that I hate the most in American entertainment is the smart, beautiful, and always correct woman who is married to a fat, lazy, and stupid man who is lucky to have her. Prime examples of this can be found in The Simpsons, Family Guy, and just about every other modern tv show or movie that involves a couple that has children.

I think it would be interesting if we try to figure out where these tropes came from, I'll start.
I think the trope mentioned above is a direct result of an over correction that took place in American culture after the 1950's and 60's. Entertainment during that time period had an over saturation of shows/movies that portrayed "the man is always right." American entertainment didn't do the subtle change that was required to make both parents have the potential of equally, or almost equally, holding characteristics that can be considered positive or negative.
dragonofthewest
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Post by dragonofthewest »

Keyboard mashing hacker.
Only allow reason to rule you
PWN
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Post by PWN »

dragonofthewest wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:14 am Keyboard mashing hacker.
The earliest I remember that one was the original power rangers where in the coming of the White ranger, Billy was 'typing' and it was a bunch of button mashing when trying to figure out what was going on.

At least that's the earliest one I remember from my childhood.