AP 714 - Eyes

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 714 - Eyes

Post by VicMonado »

Well we already did ears oddly before we covered eyes, which when I think about it is kinda odd. Besides maybe extravagant and colorful hair, eyes are one of the most distinctive things visually when it comes to anime and they can vary quite a bit. So today please name some of your favorite eye designs, what characters they're on and why you like em.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 714 - Eyes

Post by rampant_a_i »

Oooh, a topic I happen to really love. I find that certain modern anime character designs to be extremely aesthetic, particularly due to better computerized tools for Animation that allow for more complex styles. The theme you'll note in my answers is that I prefer as much realism as 2D animation will allow without hitting that uncanny valley.

(3) There are a lot of characters with heterocrhomia that I find interesting. While I suspect many other AP respondents will mention the Lelouch Lamperouge, or the Kurumi Tokisaki, I am going to mention my favorite heterochromia girl, even if she might be using contacts to do so, Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! (Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!). That's mainly because it's part of who she is or has chosen to be.

(2) Violet from Violet Evergarden. Nothing eccentric, but really well done eyes, -- and another Kyo-Ani production. Here the artists went out of their way to give the main heroine very expressive eyes, and their diligence certainly paid off. Just beautiful.

*drumroll* (1) Rikka Takarada from SSSS.Gridman. (Hmmm, another Rikka.) Yes, we know, she has other assets that are very attractive, certainly, but Rikka has awesome eyes, such that I immediately fell in love with her for that alone. That deep blue shading with magenta highlights is very pleasing and distinct. Her character design in that regard is superb, and the animators have to be commended for persisting in going with such a difficult to animate feature of gradients and psuedo-gradients, without going overboard. Just look at those eyes!
*Chef's kiss*

Honorable mention goes to Major Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell 2045. She would rank higher were this not full CGI, but worth mentioning because the construction of her eye design reminded me me of Rikka above.

Another honorable mention goes to the character Lacie from the anime of Beatless. The design for an android's eyes is pretty good, but unfortunately the animated results do not live up to the character designs by Redjuice in the light novels' illustrations, which are excellent.
Wherever you go... there you are.
Deathgod
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Re: AP 714 - Eyes

Post by Deathgod »

Always like they way they did the eyes on Black Lagoon. Really shows in a few characters and their personalities. The use of highlights and color in the eye while slight gives you that bit more of depth into the characters mind state.

ImageImage Image

As you meet other characters you can tell the ones that you don't really want to mess with as they are never shown with that highlight in their eyes. Even when smiling but the color disappears when they go to that darker place.

Image Image

The only one not to lose that highlight is Rock a new addition that hasn't been completely corrupted by the setting of the anime. Even when he has to do things that go against his morals at the beginning of the show.

Image Image Image