AP 576 - Rose Tinted

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 576 - Rose Tinted

Post by VicMonado »

It's pretty common for me to hear people say something to the effect that anime used to be much better often followed by some decade and some reference to things being all hand drawn but on that topic what about the other end of the spectrum? Could you name some anime that perhaps hasn't aged well at all?

This topic was suggested by Xahldera.
xahldera
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 576 - Rose Tinted

Post by xahldera »

I might know a few, including some controversial choices despite them being favourites of mine personally.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
    It's a seminal classic and required viewing, but it is spoiled by a few flaws including the odd pacing in places, indecipherable psychobabble, pesudo-religious imagery and that infamous "no remaining budget" ending. The perceived "sexualisation of 14 year olds" doesn't sit well in today's society as well. Also any deeper meaning of the original is partially negated by Gainax constantly using the franchise as a merchandise vehicle now and that was before the Rebuild movies were released, as much as I enjoyed them.
  • Bubblegum Crisis 2033
    ImageImage
    Oh dear. As much as I loved this series, again the pacing was somewhat problematic due to the way studio politics and rights disputes messed up the production of the series, even shortening the intended length. Also despite the cool mecha and power armour designs, you can see where some of the budget was cut back. Also again pacing wasn't all that great due to the fragmented nature of the production and you had to wonder about some of the possible incest undertones and pervertedness with one of the female lead's brother...
  • Burn Up W/Burn Up Excess
    Oh dear. The original Burn Up OVA wasn't great even back in the day, or so I hear anecdotally. But, possibly much to my embarrassment, I own DVDs of the two (very loosely based) follow-ups, Burn Up W and Burn Up Excess. Impossible boob physics and character designs, excuses to show as much female skin as possible and a resident male pervert who probably should be pulled up in front of a disciplinary panel, are but a few reasons why Burn Up W/Excess age badly. It's meant to be funny, but looking back on it retrospectively, it's pretty awful in terms of plot and character design and ultimately it's cringeworthyness (And not good cringe either) mean I have to condemn it to this list.
  • Mahoromatic
    Anime robot boobs (Or lack thereof). That is all.
    (Oh and one pervert teacher...oh dear...)

Perverted thoughts are bad. Mmmkay!
THIS IS ONLY A TEST...
xahldera/X-ray Alpha

YotaruVegeta
Fan er er
Fan er er

Post by YotaruVegeta »

(Wow, that gif. It's...golden!)

At first, this would be hard to answer, but then I just stuck with what I know! I find it so funny that anyone would say that DBZ has better animation than Super definitely is the old man yelling at young whipper snappers. While I love Dragin' Balls Z dearly there are many animation flubs and shortcuts in that series, too.

(This isn't an animation flub or anything. I just wanted to share a random gif)
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

I would have to say the original Fate Stay Night by studio Deen. In terms of just everything, the story is bad and the animation quality, is bellow sub par.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.
Illicit Material
Not So Newb
Not So Newb

Post by Illicit Material »

Definitely girls bravo. I remember this was somehow the first ecchi show I ever came across and I thought this was the most amazing thing in the world. I was 11-12 when I watched it. I was hoping for some nastalgia a few years back and tried to watch it again..... it was not as good as I thought.... at all.
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Post by rampant_a_i »

Before the 90’s a lot of Japanese animation had evolved to quite detailed and elaborate artwork, BUT the number of tween frames were severely lacking, barely sufficient in number and made for choppy action. But with the increased use of computer assisted animation tools, their anime rapidly improved.
Then Flash began to infect Western and Eastern animation and became as abused as Xerogrphy adversely affected the West in the 60’s and 70’s. Cel-rendered 3D CGI is also easily abused. It usually takes a while for studios to adapt and learn not abuse new tools. But Anime has benefitted greatly from better tech.
Wherever you go... there you are.
Trinityangel0666
Fan
Fan

Post by Trinityangel0666 »

At the beginning of this past summer around May I tried to rewatch 2 old anime; Serial Experiments Lain and .Hack//Sign on the Funimation channel. OMG I could not make it through either anime because the animation was so terrible. Both shows looked janky as hell. Its funny I rewatched the original Ghost in the Shell movie (1995) and They were Eleven(1986) last year; which are anime movies that came out over 25 years ago and they both still look gorgeous. But I've noticed that anime that was made in the 80's and early to mid 90's have very good production value more so than anime made in late 90's and 2000's. But there are a few excepts such as Redline and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. But then again OAV's and movies always look good and they rarely make them anymore sadly.
What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Paltir
Bleach was cool
Bleach was cool

Post by Paltir »

All I want to comment is that Golden Boy.... Was/Is/Always will be Fan fucking tastic. I feel your use of that gif is insulting!

Ok I didn't actually read the question, but i'll leave the below intact because i feel like it's somewhat on the same page.

I will comment a little further cause I feel like it. Shounen shows. Especially long form, drawn out types. Bleach/Naruto/Dragin' Balls (Z), etc. I tried to re-watch Prince of Tennis recently and I feel that sports type shows fall in the same basket. You know all the storybeats and at least for me it's REALLY hard to just get into it. You feel compelled to skip, or just get bored. If anything you want to skip to the kickass "fights", and so you end up skipping 75% of the show. There's not much worth re-watching. Maybe that's just me.
InnocuousBlonde
Fan
Fan

Post by InnocuousBlonde »

Trinityangel0666 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:54 pm At the beginning of this past summer around May I tried to rewatch 2 old anime; Serial Experiments Lain and .Hack//Sign on the Funimation channel. OMG I could not make it through either anime because the animation was so terrible. Both shows looked janky as hell.
Yeah, Serial Experiments Lain had a very limited shelf life - it was already alot of cyberpunk existential weirdness, then add on that the design and animation were not super amazing.... the themes and look really are very much of its time.

Hellsing (not Ultimate, just the original animation from 2001-2002) was certainly a fun gory romp at the time, but daaaaamn I was watching clips of it in a retro review recently, and boy is it ugly! Also they had... cyber vampires? I guess it's a good thing the OVAs came along and gave the source material a proper animating.