AP 687 - Favorite Families in Anime

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 687 - Favorite Families in Anime

Post by VicMonado »

Another self explanatory one. What are your favourite families in anime. Why? etc..

Today's topic brought to you by Pumirya, thanks again buddy!
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 687 - Favorite Families in Anime

Post by rampant_a_i »

This was actually a tougher question than it should be.

When I reflect on the "families" in most anime, all we tend to see are broken or incomplete familial situations which are most often weak contrivances to facilitate a situation for the story's premise. At best, Mom and or Dad are missing, either mentally or physically, which gives cart blanch to their children to do whatever insanity the show's plot calls for. And even some of the more wholesome family situations are tainted by darker circumstances that are far from the ideal of a "favorite" family. To my mind, it has to be more than liking a few members who happen to be part of a family, but that the family itself is influential on the characters themselves.

I started to troll this one, just for fun. To suggest something like the Joestar family, the Kosakas, or even the Ikaris (huge grin). But I discussed those with my own family to get their takes, and they too had no conclusive or definitive *families* to recommend. The Emiyas, the Valkas, the Bebop crew, the Kanames, the Yukiharas, the whatever... none were really close to ideal or what one should aspire to as a family. Even the newly-wed couple from Tonikawa, the Yuzakis, are just at the promising beginning of a new family, but aren't quite there yet.

Then I thought to Anime movies and recalled the Miyazaki family's contribution to wholesome and poignant entertainment. I started to list their RL family as my favorite, but then my sons objected that it was not quite right either.

Then I recalled other movies, and remembered Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars (Samā Wōzu), and I had my answer -- that favorite movie of ours is all about family, and the dynamics of the Jinnouchi family are one of the most recognizable to those of us also from large families ourselves. The way they came together as a family, despite their internal differences, to resolve a major crisis is a joy to watch. Highly recommended.
Wherever you go... there you are.