AP 715 - Game -> Anime (Bad Edition)

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 715 - Game -> Anime (Bad Edition)

Post by VicMonado »

The opposite of a more recent topic, which videogames had the worst anime adaptations and why?
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 715 - Game -> Anime (Bad Edition)

Post by rampant_a_i »

I am not going to mention the Studio Deen aberration of the original Fate Stay Night anime series, because were it not for that, despite its flaws, I might not have looked further into it and the series.

Rather, I will instead say that the Anime series that was produced for Blade & Soul is a "special gem", in that it was so bad, that it is kind of "good". (So-bad-it's-good, IOW.) The English dub is special treat as well, meaning it was badly done. Meanwhile the animation and character designs are very acceptable, attractive even, and the story beats are not all that bad, because they almost follow some of the MMORPG's main story quest (MQS)*, but the dialog and voicework execution were so bad that the cringe actually hurts. This is surprising because this is a Gonzo production, a studio usually known for exceptional work. Still, I did watch it through to the end of its one and only season. And to be fair, I probably should try watching it again as a sub, rather than a dub, just to make sure it was as poor as I recall.

EDIT: * footnote: Yes, I once played the Korean MMORPG -- in fact, I was a part of the CBT for its NA release.
Wherever you go... there you are.