AP 716 - Older Sisters

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 716 - Older Sisters

Post by VicMonado »

When it comes to sisters in Anime, imoutos seem to the most attention so today lets talk about best older sisters in anime instead!
Forum topic submitted by MarinerBert

p.s brother editions coming in the next seasonal patch
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 716 - Older Sisters

Post by rampant_a_i »

Wow, you guys on the Discord server are quick -- everyone has named nearly all of my favorite onēsans in Anime. Darn.

But after some thoughts I can name some more, even if they may not be in my top three:

(3) For this first one, I think I'll mention one that would be entirely controversial, just for fun:
Who wouldn't want an older sister like Hina Tachibana from Domestic Girlfriend (Domesutikku na Kanojo), one who truly loves her younger step-brother and former student, Natsuo Fujii -- as no other sister should. She's kind and loving to a fault, and has great attributes that any young man would find... endearing.
Add to that she comes with a teenage imouto, Rui, as part of the step-family. Such a wonderful, loving family.

For these next two, getting a little more serious, I am going to have to go even more outside of blood-related or even step- sisters, for these are characters who assume the de facto role of big sister:
(2) Sawa Yukimura from Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood is this anime's titular character. She is an assassin with occult powers that takes in the young daughter of two people she was contracted to slay at one point. The girl, Asahi Nakamura, is conflicted, because her parents had been monstrously abusive towards her, but then Sawa murdered her only living relatives -- while at the same time Sawa has since shown her kindness, giving her a place to live and thrive out of guilt for orphaning her. Theirs is a complex relationship where Sawa often demonstrates a seeming coldness or indifference to Asahi which is blatantly belied by her sisterly guidance and patience shown for her young ward. As such they represent two people for whom circumstances have forced them to accept one another in a sisterly fashion. This relationship is put to the test later in the season, making for some great dramatic moments. Yep, Sawa is a good choice.

(1) And mentioning Sawa brings to mind an even better example: Balsa Yonsa from the now classic Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Seirei no Moribito). Balsa is a female warrior who is put in the situation of guarding a young princeling as her ward. She demonstrates both a motherly and sisterly affinity for the young boy, Chagrum, that goes well beyond her job as a guardian, and thus makes her a definite inspiration for Sawa above.
Wherever you go... there you are.