AP 717 - Male Tsundere

Discuss individual shows here
VicMonado
Site Admin

AP 717 - Male Tsundere

Post by VicMonado »

So balancing out the typical posts with something a little different. This week I'm asking what are your favorite male tsundere characters? Click here if you somehow don't know what that means.

This forum topic suggested by R̴̡̛͕̓̎̑͆͋̊̋̚͠-̸̧̡̡̩̠̯͚̘̠͖̯̒̈́ǫ̷̻̗̮̯͇̩̹̹͔̼̙̽̉̂̚Ẇ̸̨̛̦̗̙̥̯̦̮̞̙̳̥̲̒̊̋͑́̌̔͐͜-̷͖͚̭̔̈́̀̊͆͒́̿͒̍͝͝ͅỉ̶̢̧̛͙̫͇͍͍͓̘͚̗̝̙͔́͂̓̀̔̋̈̿̍͝-̵̛̘̝̦͇͈͎̉̀̊̽̽͐̒̕̚͘͝7̵̧̢̲̯̞͉̮̩͙̗̬̞̗̩̎
rampant_a_i
Bigger Fan
Bigger Fan

Re: AP 717 - Male Tsundere

Post by rampant_a_i »

This is a tough one, because (at the risk of this marking me a bit chauvinistic) I don't usually associate many of the "dere" archetypes to male characters in Anime because it is often folded into much of their overall character, such that they don't know which type they are. This is different from most female characters who seem better in touch with their feelings and motivations, so that their behavior might be more conscious than not.

As for Tsundere's I guess only a few come to mind, but I question whether they truly are such (in no certain order):

Edward Elric of Fullmetal Alchemist (both series) is definitely in denial of his feelings for Winry Rockbell, but we can all tell the truth regardless. It shows in the care he provides her and is culminated at the end of the second (Brotherhood) series.

Then there's Hirotaka Nifuji from Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (AKA, Watakoi). His inner monologue betrays his long held crush for his childhood friend Narumi Momose, but whether he is unemotional around her due to his ineptness or that he is stoic or trying to throw her off or that he's just an introverted gamer who reserves his passion for his favorite games. Thankfully, he eventually overcomes this somehow through an indirect confession, but it takes him some time to get there.

I can think of a few others, but none of real note, and one who might have qualified as tsundere, but then you learn his coldness comes from the loss of his one true love, and it seems to move him out of that archetype because he won't allow himself to love anyone else (Alex Row from Last Exile.)
Wherever you go... there you are.
Blackmagic4444
Colonel Exposition
Colonel Exposition

Re: AP 717 - Male Tsundere

Post by Blackmagic4444 »

Li Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura. He starts out as her rival for the Clow Cards but they gradually becomes friends and close allies. As he becomes more smitten for Sakura his attempts to be more cool and stoic get hampered by his embarrassment around her.
Don't get left, just get on your good foot.